How to cook Chicken/Picky Eater (Broader Question)?

My 5 year old is an extremely picky eater, always has been, and I thought she would grow out of it, but so far she hasn't. She loves chicken - chicken nuggets, oven roasted chicken from subway. Chicken is pretty much her only source of protein outside of dairy (although she has ate cod nuggets, I think she thought they were chicken). When I try to make chicken at home, she doesn't really like it - sometimes she will eat it, most of the time she won't - i think it is a texture thing. Is there any way I could cook it/prepare it that would maybe make it easier to transition from eating processed foods to real foods easier?

Also, any tips on helping a picky eater (without it being traumatic) would be appreciated. I tried sending her to headstart without breakfast to see if she would get hungry and eat there (they served breakfast and lunch there) but she still would only eat what she likes.

She eats yogurt (well, gogurt), string cheese, yellow american cheese (only real cheese, she won't eat velveeta lol), bread, lots of fruit - mandarian oranges, bananas, pineapple, apples, watermelon, grapes, strawberries, pears, applesauce, gram crackers, club crackers, chicken nuggets, processed chicken breast (like subway), sometimes real chicken, sometimes cod nuggets, pancakes (butter only), and cheese sandwiches and cheese pizza, ice cream (but not the ice cream cone, and only vanilla or chocalate ice cream). oh, and butter, she thinks she should eat butter with a bit of toast lol. and candy, only m&ms or hershy bar candy. She will drink milk and juice and watered down juice. She does not like to dip food (no ketchup, ranch, etc.), She will not eat pasta, rice, tortilla etc. , she will not eat vegetables, even if they are covered in cheese. No deli meat, no hamburger, no beans, no peanut butter. She used to eat pureed vegetables until she was like 2 1/2 (she quit eating them, she wouldn't transition to from say Gerbers green beans to green beans mashed with a fork) - she wouldn't pick chunky food up to eat it until she was over a year old. She has been tested by an OT therapist and they say there is no signs of oral defensiveness. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago

Never cater to a picky eater, it cases eating disorders

Don't hide the food in anything, dont hide it under cheese sauce. Cut out all the junk food like nuggets and the like.

You make her food, you serve and she has to eat everything on the plat or she either can't get down from the table or she will get nothing at all until next meal time and all she gets is what she didn't eat. Its not traumatic at all. its what you do when you have a picky eater. You serve them the food and they eat it or go hungry.

Let her scream and cry and throw a fit. its all she gets. Kids need to learn they eat what they are served or they will get nothing. No healthy child will ever starve themselves and she will eat once she's hungry enough and will lean very fast if you stick to your guns and refuse to give her anything else

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Ask her how she likes her chicken, like, what brand of chicken she likes, and how she wants it cooked (baked, fried, microwaved, etc)

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

chicken

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.