Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Happy Independence Day ,but why do US Christians celebrate the separation of church and state so heartily?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Separation of church and state, nice on paper; joke in action.

After all:

When was there last a non Christian President?

The churches interfere with government all the time.

Even the dollar is just a homage to the Christian god.

NB:

BTW, the American colonies did not win independence from England, by then, the country was Great Britain.

• Nous
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The government of the United States of America is, in no sense, founded on the Christian religion.

Treaty of Tripoli, Article 11. Ratified unanimously by the senate and signed by founding father and second president, John Adams, in 1797.

“The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe with blood for centuries”. -

James Madison

“Of all the animosities which have existed among mankind, those which are caused by a difference of sentiments in religion appear to be the most inveterate and distressing, and ought most to be deprecated”. George Washington

• 8 years ago

The Church set up the separation in Europe quite a few years before the constitution.

The US has no state religion like it does still in Europe and Asia that is the difference.

The idea is not to tear a country apart by the royalty that ruled most of the world at the time.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The question is directed to Christians which I now no longer am; yet as a individual stated Catholic i think of i can indicate that celebrating a countrywide holiday does no longer be in conflict with Christian teachings on condition that they are no longer celebrating a non-religious holiday or commemorative day as a holy day first of all. Celebrating the 4th has no longer something to do with faith; and Christianity - a minimum of interior the Catholic Church - does not shield any prohibition against celebrating non-religious occassions. Birthday celebrations are yet another occasion.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jim V
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

In Europe the state and the church are/were intertwined - and the poor results are apparent.

It is the separation of the church from oversight of the state that gives religious freedom.

In the same way it is the separation of individual rights from the state that gave us personal freedom (or it used to).

• NDMA
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Think about it.

Most European Countries had/have official state churches. -- atheism is most prominent in these nations.

The US prohibits state churches - atheism is the lowest among democratic republics in the US.

Separation of Church and State apparently is a pretty good guard against atheism!

• 8 years ago

Because, this separation you speak of is precisely what our founding fathers ran from in England. Our Constitution protects our church from being influenced or bothered by our government.

If you had a club, and the US Constitution said that no government can interfere with your club, wouldn't that make you happy?

You do understand that this "separation" does not require that we check our religion or religious ideas or ideals at the door to the voting booth, right?

• 8 years ago

Independence Day is celebrated as a reminder of our independence from England and her taxes. It has nothing to do with separation of church and state.

Jesus Christ is Lord!

• Happy Independence Day as well and thank you. We celebrate this celebration because in no way can any government ever blame the Christian church for all the ills that plague the society's that they govern. This keeps them pure and white with innocence in gods eyes.And this separation goes all the way to the United Nations.

Source(s): Apostle James the Greater
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

In short, because Christianity encompasses as wide a spectrum of social values and conflicting beliefs as secular society. I cherish the freedom to worship how, when and where I choose, if I choose. No compulsory temple tax to support spiritual institiutions I regard as corrupt or heretical. That other guy's twisted and cherry-picked interpretation of scripture isn't binding on my rights (or my wife or daughter's rights) under law.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.