Is this all I need to apply as a police officer?

*You must be a U.S. citizen.

*You must be at least 19 years of age.

*You must have a criminal record free of felonies, as well as misdemeanors involving perjury or false statements.

*You must have a high school diploma or equivalent education.

*You must file fingerprint documentation with the employing police agency.

*You must pass a physical examination by a licensed physician to prove you are fit to perform police duties.

*You must pass a background examination by the employing agency for moral character.

*You must complete a basic training program approved by the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission.

*You must achieve an acceptable score on a criminal justice employment examination.

I meet mostly all of that since I am working at a Hospital at the moment but I do have 2 choices becoming EMT or Police officer but I do want to become a Police more then EMT only because it says I do not need to go to college in the state of FL which I live in FL

http://www.howtobecomeapoliceofficer.com/florida/

So that being said where should I start first in order to become a police officer since I do not need to go to college, where can I get basic training from?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • J.W.
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Requirements to become a police officer vary and how you become a police officer varies depending on the police department. Visit the websites of the police departments that you might be interested in working for. Police department websites often provide information about their applicant requirements, about how to apply, and about their hiring process. Some relatively common minimum requirements include having at least a high school diploma or ged, being a citizen, being at least 21 years old, having a valid driver's license, and having no felony convictions. Some relatively common steps in hiring processes include application, written test, physical fitness test, interview, drug test, medical examination, and background investigation. Some police departments will hire you, and then send you to the police academy. In this case, you would already have a job and be paid while attending the academy. Some departments require applicants to have already completed police academy training before being hired. In this case, you have to apply to attend an academy, and if accepted, pay tuition to attend in hopes of getting hired after you graduate. Many academies are run by or through colleges or universities. Consider getting a college degree if you don't have one. Getting a degree is one of the best things that you can do. Many departments require or prefer applicants to have college. Having a degree could help you get hired with some departments. Some departments pay their officers more if they have a degree. Having a degree could also help you get promoted during your career. Getting police officer jobs is becoming more and more competitive. Do whatever you can to make yourself the best candidate that you can. For example, don't do anything illegal, maintain a good reputation, keep a good driving record, don't get bad credit, improve all of your communication skills as much as possible, and become as physically fit as you can. Consider local, state, and federal jobs. How well you do on written tests and during interviews can be very important when trying to get police officer jobs. Make sure to prepare for any tests and interviews. Best of luck!

• Buddy
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Those are the minimum requirements of the STATE to be a Police Officer. Individual departments can make their entry requirements higher such as requiring an Associates (2 year) degree to apply. Education is a great way to weed through the slackers in all of the many applications they get for just a few positions. Also, the work done in the academy might be far harder than any college. Also, to advance you will need some college. But, being a Police Officer is a career. EMT is an entry level just above minimum wage with no chance of advancement unless you become a Paramedic with a Fire Department. Florida's Fire Departments have the largest number of applicants per opening than any other state except for California. That means about 1000 per opening. But, then so do the Police Departments.

If you hate college and don't have any plans to advance then the EMT probably would be a good fit. You can get the cert in about 3 weeks at any of the many EMT mills in Florida and no college will ever be required even if you go for the Paramedic cert. It is an easy course which takes very little effort. But, it is a job and not a career (unless you are Fire Department). Private ambulance companies come and go and there will always be 1000s of EMTs wanting to replace you.

Lv 7
    8 years ago

You get the basic train by going to a police academy in Florida. You pay your won way, you go to academy for 16 weeks (last I looked) 5 days a week 8 hours a day.

If you make it through the academy you are allowed to take the Florida POST test that certifies you. Then you go out and find a department that will hire you.

larger and better paying department will not hire a newly certified.

They like to hire only those with a couple of years experience or hire people on their own before academy and then send them to a longer more involved academy then basic.

Many of the hire first departments require some college.

Perhaps you should look at specific department recruitment sites. They have what that department wants.

The site you got the info from is for Florida in general and they try to make money off of you "preparing" you for the tests you have to take.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

there are more. But those are the basics. Things like driving record, and physical health will be looked at.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.