Will MERS kill us all?

I'm easily frightened and with my constant worry of a pandemic that will kill us all I'm worried that this is it. I've heard it's been dectected in Europe. What if it kills us all?

Favorite Answer

So far, CDC has reported a total of 77 cases (check their website) and none of them were found in North America.

---------------------------------------------------------

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Q: What is MERS?

A: Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) is a viral respiratory illness. MERS is caused by a coronavirus called “Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus” (MERS-CoV).

Q: What is MERS-CoV?

A: MERS-CoV is a beta coronavirus. It was first reported in 2012 in Saudi Arabia. MERS-CoV used to be called “novel coronavirus,” or “nCoV”. It is different from other coronaviruses that have been found in people before.

Q: How was the name selected?

A: The Coronavirus Study Group (CSG) of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) decided in May 2013 to call the novel coronavirus “Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus” (MERS-CoV) Adobe PDF file [5 pages]External Web Site Icon.

Q: Is MERS-CoV the same as the SARS virus?

A: No. MERS-CoV is not the same coronavirus that caused severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in 2003. However, like the SARS virus, MERS-CoV is most similar to coronaviruses found in bats. CDC is still learning about MERS.

MERS Cases and Deaths,

April 2012 - Present

Current as of July 3, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT

Countries Cases (Deaths)

France 2 (1)

Italy 3 (0)

Jordan 2 (2)

Qatar 2 (0)

Saudi Arabia 62 (36)

Tunisia 2 (0)

United Kingdom (UK) 3 (2)

United Arab Emirates (UAE) 1 (1)

Total 77 (42)

Source(s): cdc.com