Will MERS kill us all?

I'm easily frightened and with my constant worry of a pandemic that will kill us all I'm worried that this is it. I've heard it's been dectected in Europe. What if it kills us all?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

So far, CDC has reported a total of 77 cases (check their website) and none of them were found in North America.

---------------------------------------------------------

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Q: What is MERS?

A: Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) is a viral respiratory illness. MERS is caused by a coronavirus called “Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus” (MERS-CoV).

Q: What is MERS-CoV?

A: MERS-CoV is a beta coronavirus. It was first reported in 2012 in Saudi Arabia. MERS-CoV used to be called “novel coronavirus,” or “nCoV”. It is different from other coronaviruses that have been found in people before.

Q: How was the name selected?

A: The Coronavirus Study Group (CSG) of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) decided in May 2013 to call the novel coronavirus “Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus” (MERS-CoV) Adobe PDF file [5 pages]External Web Site Icon.

Q: Is MERS-CoV the same as the SARS virus?

A: No. MERS-CoV is not the same coronavirus that caused severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in 2003. However, like the SARS virus, MERS-CoV is most similar to coronaviruses found in bats. CDC is still learning about MERS.

MERS Cases and Deaths,

April 2012 - Present

Current as of July 3, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT

Countries Cases (Deaths)

France 2 (1)

Italy 3 (0)

Jordan 2 (2)

Qatar 2 (0)

Saudi Arabia 62 (36)

Tunisia 2 (0)

United Kingdom (UK) 3 (2)

United Arab Emirates (UAE) 1 (1)

Total 77 (42)

Source(s): cdc.com
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.