Research on Japan Fire Fighters?

So I'm doing research in to Japanese Fire Fighters for a story. I know anime and manga tend to miss lead things with comedy and stuff, plus there's only one Firefighting manga out there that I know of and I can only find a small portion of it. SO my questions are, if anyone can give me something anything... show more So I'm doing research in to Japanese Fire Fighters for a story. I know anime and manga tend to miss lead things with comedy and stuff, plus there's only one Firefighting manga out there that I know of and I can only find a small portion of it.
SO my questions are, if anyone can give me something anything on the daily life of a Japanese Fireman living in Tokyo.
My character is young out of university and married young in his 20's, so is his wife, no children. So I'm really looking for some good information to help this story out.
I know that they do have family apartments for firefighters but I don't think it's all stations.
Really what I'm looking for is about schedule's and daily routines and things. Shift changes, time off, things like that. OH and average salary too. Just as much information I can get really.
Update: Leftcoast USA that's fantastic! WOW! If you come back to peak at this then do you by chance know anything about the living arrangements? I know I about Family Apartments but I'm not sure really how it goes. If it's assigned or if the senior officers get first dibs? Also by chance how big are they maybe?