did i make the right decision to dump him b/c of his debt?

I'm 34 and have been dating a guy for 3 months. Nothing exclusive. I told him how happy to have finally paid of my student loan this week. I had 35k in student loan debt after I graduated nursing in 2008 and it's finally paid off. He told me he owes around 150 k in student loan debt!! Whoa!! He is a tax Attorney, but has not been able to find a job as an Atty since he graduated in 2007. Attorneys are a dime a dozen now. He makes around 30 k as a legal assistant. I feel bad for the guy. But I'm dating people in hopes to find a husband. I can't imagine marrying anyone with 150k in debt who makes only 30k year. He told me that I'm making a mistake, that he will make it big someday. I told him I don't care about the income someone makes. So long as they are working. But I do care about the debt someone has acculmulated. He said I was being shallow.

• Lisa
    Favorite Answer

I think you could have kept on dating but went to a different attorney to get a prenup should you decide to get married. Is he still paying on his student debt?

You're right about dumping him you don't want his debt to stick to you do you if he wasn't working his hardest to pay it off then and didn't have a job he might start asking you for money because he probably knows a nurse makes the dollars

• Yanely

You are being shallow. Good luck in your search for Mr.right.