If one bumps into another car while parking and cause no damage does one have to report it?

I have a friend who is being charged under section 3 for driving without due care and attention and failing to report an accident. He accepts that he bumped into a car while leaving a parking place but his wife got out and confirmed that there was no damage. He therefore did not report it but a couple of people standing nearby did and he has now been charged under section 3 and told that there was damage to the other car. He accepts that he bumped but denies causing any damage - what should he do?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The way cars are built these days damage may not be visible at a quick glance. To keep yourself covered it is best to notify relevant parties, even if it is just the owner of the car you hit. Most times they will have a look see no damage and tell you not to worry - Then you are covered.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

Well that's an oops, isn't it? Frankly if there's no damage I wouldn't have reported it myself, but the law sees it as there has been an accident. If they are saying that there was damage they'll be getting advice from the other car owner's insurance company; I personally trust insurance companies not in the slightest, but that's what you are up against.

On this occasion it's suck it up, take the fine and the points, and next time don't hit anything when there are witnesses.

• 7 years ago

He needs a good solicitor. There must have been damage for the Police to charge him.

• Gerald
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

he hasn't got a leg to stand on how can he dispute it witnesses against him police are involved they must have seen the damage or there's no case his wife should have gone to specsavers

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Alex
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Get a lawyer and pray.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.