Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 8 years ago

how can I become a classical singer like Katherine Jenkins or Faryl Smith?

My dream is to sing as classically as Katherine Jenkins or someone of that sort so more of my generation Faryl Smith, they both have beautiful voices and have opera sounding singing voices too. With my singing I stupidly have low confidence, not really low but when I do solos I'm so nervous but I still go out and do it, to grow in confidence but it's taking years and years now, and to be able to sing like these 2 beautiful soprano's would just complete me, would be very thankful if anyone could give me some advice on this,

thank you.

Favorite Answer

Katherine Jenkins is not really a classical singer. She was unable to "make it" as an opera performer. My advice... find someone who is a really good singer as a role model and get a voice coach.

1

Online teachers or online singing courses are usually cheaper than real teachers. You may spends hundreds, even thousands on lessons with real voice teachers, and still not progress as you hope. Some online singing courses have wonderful, valid information.

In the end my advice is: if you can't afford a singing coach but you still want to become a better singer try this online singing course. It's the best option you can find on the net to improve your singing voice, tone and pitch. The course will give you an easy to follow step by step with good vocal tips, tons of lessons and exercises.

Here is the site: http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=295

Good Luck

One of the most important aspects of singing well involves correct breathing. Now you would think that we would already do this correctly. Try a site like https://tr.im/Rt4NM which has the best vocal exercises

After all if we couldn't breathe we wouldn't be alive! But in reality many people have bad breathing habits caused by a variety of things including poor posture and our often frantic lifestyles. Learning how to control your breathing is one of the keys to improving your voice.

Singing requires that you are able to take in enough air quickly before you are about to sing a line and then let this air out in a regular and controlled way whilst singing the notes. The mistake many novice singers do is to take a quick shallow gasp of air into the top of the lungs. This results in there being insufficient air, to get you through the line you are singing, and you will end up dropping notes. I'm sure you can relate to this experience and can remember times when you have had to quickly take in more air half way through the line or note you are singing.

If you’re like most people who dream of becoming a world-class musician or just love to sing, your goal is simple: you want to overcome your vocal barriers. You want to take your singing ability to the highest level.

And you know that across the world, more and more people are taking their voice to that next level.

Superior Singing Method - http://superiorsingingmethods.info/177/Video-Tips....

But why do some of these ‘lucky’ singers seem to have amazing ability, perfect control, pitch, agility, confidence, and a huge vocal range – while you might still be struggling to improve your singing voice and have a masterful singing voice?

This is what makes the difference between a world-class singer and an average singer…

It’s all about how you practice and train your voice. Most ‘vocal improvement’ systems and techniques just give you a set of vocal exercises with NO direction and leave you on your own to figure out how to actually sing.

But at Superior Singing Method, I train you with a form of active vocal improvement to spark your inner singing ability, improve every aspect of your singing voice – which means that you will start singing the way you always dreamed while gaining a masterful control over your voice…with amazing power and a range that will let you hit every note with ease and confidence.

You’ll do this through a set of time-tested and highly refined vocal exercises that come together to train every aspect of your singing voice: a voice where you can sing with amazing pitch, better agility, more power, improved resonance and tone, and impress anyone who hears you sing.

The Superior Singing Method is like having a personal vocal instructor showing you exactly how your voice works, and how to work with each muscle group in your voice to get the results you want.

In Just 5 Minutes A Day, You Could Start Singing With Incredible Control, Power, Pitch, And More Freedom Than You Ever Imagined - http://superiorsingingmethods.info/177/Video-Tips....

Over 10,000 Singers – Including Professionals, Recording Artists and Even Total Beginners – Have Used The Superior Singing Method To Experience Vocal Breakthroughs!

Source(s): Discover How To Become A Better Singer In Just Days: http://superiorsingingmethods.info/177/Video-Tips....

It's very possible to learn to sing well. You just need to know the right methods. Learn here https://tinyurl.im/aH6m4 Singing teachers will cost money and can be expensive so they're not for everyone. Singing can be learned so it's not an "either you have it or you don't" kind of thing. Whether you sound like crap or you're decent, I recommend this singing course. It's one of the best methods to learn to sing well in a short amount of time. It's all about using efficient techniques that work.

Uh...I'm going to presume you aren't just trolling by mentioning Katherine Jenkins and Faryl Smith for examples of "classical singers" that you hope to emulate. If anything, you'd be better off patterning yourself after Faryl. According to Wikipedia, she has been studying with a vocal coach in the last year or so in hopes of moving from "crossover" to real opera. She hopes to be able to attend The Royal Academy of Music (where they also train non-classical singers as well as opera students).

Ironically, Katherine Jenkins was Faryl's idol too! But Malcolm is correct--Jenkins couldn't make it in real opera. In fact I'm sometimes puzzled myself why Jenkins isn't better than she is. She does have a lovely voice and has had considerable vocal training (including a scholarship to the Royal Academy as a teenager), but remains rather inept when singing actual opera arias (she uses a microphone among other things).It just goes to show that you can only train what's there. And perhaps she just got lazy and decided it was just easier to get a boob job (which she denies) or at least some rather good pushup bras.

By the way, NEITHER Katherine Jenkins OR Faryl Smith are sopranos. They are both classified as mezzo-sopranos, which is between contraltos and soprano. There isn't anything wrong with being a mezzo-soprano--some of the greatest opera singers in the world are mezzo-sopranos: Joyce diDonato for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3damaS03KgY

Youtube thumbnail

Jenkins (same aria)--notice how certain bits are slowed WAY down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL7FzYIssKM

Youtube thumbnail

Faryl is still very young, so her voice still has a lot of maturing to do, so it she MAY develop into a soprano---or not. Jenkins is only entering her early 30s, so this would be about when a female singer's voice starts to mature--though she's still terrible.

As someone who has been in some form of vocal music most of my life, I've had an opportunity to hear a LOT of different voices, and while Faryl has talent, her greatest achievement is the selection of her publicity team. I've heard a lot of girls her age sing as well or much better than Faryl, but they just aren't famous. I'm still waiting to hear what she sounds like in a few years---and so should you since she isn't "done" yet.

I encourage you to listen to as many different singers as you possibly can and learn the difference between "opera-sounding" voices and people who actually have operatic voices and sing real opera or classical music in the style that the composers intended it to be sung.

If you are in school, I do encourage you to take every music class you can. Join any choir that will have you (but try for ones that do require auditions so that you are not surrounded by people who love to sing but are tone-deaf). Find a proper voice teacher who isn't just in it for the money. You need someone who cares about the health of the voice as well as the sound, and cares enough to give you harsh--but constructive--criticism and feedback when you need it so you can develop into the very best singer you can possibly be.

Plus there really isn't anything wrong with "crossover music". What's wrong is pretending it's something else, or chalking it up to jealously or snobbishness if anyone calls you out.

http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2012/07/a-p...

Source(s): Personal experience and knowledge as a classically trained singer. Other sources listed above. Other mezzo-sopranos you need to listen to: Marilyn Horne Frederica von Stade (especially if you prefer a more lyric voice) Teresa Berganza Janet Baker Brigitte Fassbaender Cecilia Bartoli Grace Bumbry Susan Graham Denyce Graves Agnes Balsta Tatiana Troyanos Anne Sofie von Otter and Christine Rice--another British mezzo-soprano that is currently gaining much respect and admiration among fellow opera singers and those who know and love real opera. http://www.askonasholt.co.uk/artists/singers/mezzo...

Train, train, train. Listen to what voice coaches and singing teachers tell you, never strain your voice while young, no matter how much you might want to sing a difficult role.

As to nerves, get into a good pre-performance routine - rest, physical warm up, throat warm up. Always remember that you get solos because your teachers think you're better than others. You have the ability - go and knock their socks off :)