Is there online sales tax now?

I was planning to send something from Build-A-Bear to South Carolina, and I saw that there was a sales tax on the total. I thought the online sales tax bill was still stuck in the House of Representatives, did it pass and I wasn't aware?

Favorite Answer

In most states, you owe the tax to the state wether the merchant collects it or not. The law just currently only requires a merchant with a location in a state to collect that state's taxes if shipping to the same state.

So yes, there is sales tax on online items now, the law simply will be requiring merchants to collect it.

I would assume that if you did not pay sales tax online that you report the amount on your state tax return as a use tax as you are required to by law. No one wants to be a criminal.

No.

However, if a company has a physical presence in your state (ie. a store), they would be required to charge sales tax on online sales in your state. This is not new.