christians only, Confused?

Im 13 and I'm confused on the old testament, do we follow it as christians or not. Theres some we follow of it then theres some we don't.. Such as shaving our beards and stuff, if we don't follow it anymore then why is it in the bible.. theres one verse like this that Jesus fulfilled the law, but did not abolish it?

Update:

i found this

More than the Old Covenant is contained in the Old Testament. For example;

a) The OT explains our need for a Savior.

b) The OT reveals information about the Savior (Christ/Messiah)

c) The OT explains the origin of death and suffering

d) The OT contains prophecies of the New Covenant

e) The OT reveals our inherent sinfulness and points us to Christ

f) The OT contains an accurate account of history from God's perspective

g) The OT reveals the patience and faithfulness of God, even in light of our unfaithfulness

h) The OT contains wisdom, and expressions of worship, and examples of faith etc.etc.

Does that mean the only reason its there is to better help us understand and do we not follow the laws in the old testament if so why not all of them

Update 2:

You "Atheist" Obviously can not read what the title said. I'm not following what i'm following because of others. I'm following because I know where my heart is at and I know my savior/hope/peace/everything is in lord Jesus Christ! AMEN

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Tiger
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

God`s law is divided into three parts. Ceremonial law, the moral law, and the judicial law. (Read more here: http://www.gotquestions.org/ceremonial-law.html) The moral law stands. That is said to be based on God's holy nature. As such, the ordinances are holy, just, and unchanging. It can never change or be nullified. Still, it is fulfilled in Christ for us who are in Him.

The law is good and holy, but it can only give us death. Romans 7

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”[a] 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. 12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

The law is good in that it shows us we are hopeless sinners. There is no one good, no one do good. If we do not see we are sinners, we would feel no remorse, no repentance and no one would be driven to Christ for salvation. If you do not see you are a sinner, you can never be a Christian. If you are never thirsty, you would never drink. In this case from the Living Water Jesus gives.

So the law is perfect as it reflects a perfect Creator, but it can only send us to hell. It does not have any power to save, not any strength to give. It NEVER forgives. When someone gets imprisoned, it is not the law`s fault, not the judge, but the one that behaved faulty.

MIMI

• 8 years ago

If you read through the New Testament, it has more that 400 direct quotes from the Old Testament, and mentions events or people from the Old Testament over 3000 times. If you were to remove the Old Testament, much of the New Testament would make no sense. It is a foundation on which the New Testament was build.

Every single teaching that Jesus gave comes directly from the Old Testament, and even so of his best known statements (such as the Golden Rule to "do unto others" and his commandment to "love your neighbor as yourself") are quotes from the Old Testament. Without the OT for historical context. many of the teachings of Jesus would be impossible to understand.

It is true that the source of our salvation has changed. We are not saved by following rules, rituals, feast or sacrifices any more. We are saved by having faith in God. That does not invalidate the teachings, lessons and principles that are found in the OT events.

Also in the OT there are literally thousands of prophecies of Jesus. God wanted us to be able to recognize Jesus, realize why he had to come and what he was going to accomplish. He did not just want to "drop" him into history and hope we would figure it out. So he gave us the OT to prepare us to know who Jesus was.

Look at just one chapter of the OT for example. Psalms 22. In that one chapter it list over 20 things that would happen during the crucifixion of Jesus. Including:

His first words for the cross.

How his enemies would mock him

That the soldiers would gamble for his clothing

His hands and feet would be pierced (even though crucifixion had not been invented yet)

That his bones would be out of joint (that is what causes you to die on a cross by chocking out)

His bones would not be broken

He would thirst

His side would be pierced

He would be buried in a borrowed tomb

That the tomb would belong to a rich man

That he would not remain in that tomb but resurrect

and others.

All given so that we would know who Jesus was when he came. In the gospel of Matthew alone he has 60 quotes of prophecies that Jesus fulfilled and alludes to 30 more. Within the OT, we would have no idea what these quotes were or that Jesus had fulfilled them.

• 8 years ago

The OT is hard to understand. But, when you do it is so much more then the book of 'laws'. To me, the OT is the book of life. It is the story of God's people, and through this story you really see who God is. You see how loving God is, you see how glorious He is, you see that God is. The OT was written to the Jews. Truthfully, every book in the Bible was written to a certain cultural group. However, today these works created thousands of years ago to guide others help guide us as we search out who God is and who Jesus is.

We no longer have to follow the laws of the old testament because God made a new covenenant with us through Jesus. The reason that stuff is in the Bible is so that we can see who God is and how amazing and beautiful He is.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

2 Timothy 3:16 states in part that "all scripture is inspired of God... beneficial for teaching and setting matters straight". The Bible is not out of date and is still practical for use today. The scripture that you mentioned at Matthew 5:17 was discussing the Jesus' fulfillment of the prophesy from the OT, or the Hebrew Scriptures. Furthermore, Romans 3:31 mentioned that "never would we want to abolish the law ". So, the OT is still relevant as Jesus stated when dealing with his disciples.

In fact, Jesus’ followers continued to use the Hebrew Scriptures to highlight prophecies that were yet to be fulfilled (Acts 2:16-21). The OT provides us with principles that teach us valuable lessons and it gives us accounts of ancient servants of God whose fine examples encourage Christians, like you and I, to remain faithful. (1 Corinthians 9:9, 10; Hebrews 11:1–12:1).

I would encourage you to look up the cited scriptures.

Source(s): The Bible
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Only the handwriting or ordinances (Book of the Law) was nailed to the cross (see Col 2), which stood as a witness against us & leaned against the side of the Ark of the Covenant (Deu 31:26). God doesn't write with His hand, He writes with His finger (see Ex 32:16, Deu 9:10 & 10:4, Dan 5:5-6 & 5:22-30, Jn 8:6-8). Because of Jesus' fulfillment of that law, we no longer need to perform animal sacrifice or keep the feasts. They were only meant to remind us of the coming Messiah (Jesus the Christ).

Clean & unclean was established BEFORE God's encounter with the Hebrews in the desert. God told Noah to take seven pair of clean animals & of birds into the ark & two pairs of unclean (see Gen 7:2-3). However, even the NT briefly touches on those dietary restrictions (like in Acts 15). The reason is not to set us apart, but to keep us free from illness.

The Decalogue wasn't abolished. There is a heavenly sanctuary, after which the earthly sanctuary was modeled (see Heb 8-10). In it sits the Ark of the Covenant (see Rev 11:19), just like with the earthly sanctuary. They placed the Decalogue, a bowl of manna & Aaron's rod inside the Ark of the Covenant initially (see Deut 10:3-5 and Heb 9:2-4). However, when it was later opened, nothing was found inside save the Decalogue (see 1 Kgs 8:9), which are all throughout the NT: 1. Have no other gods before Me (Mt 4:10, 6:24 & 22:37-38, Lk 4:8, Rev 14:7 & 19:10).

2. Do not make a graven image for yourself; do not bow down them neither serve them (Acts 15:20, 17:16 & 17:29, 1 Cor 5:10-11, 6:9, 10:7, 14 and 19, & 12:2, 2 Cor 6:16, Gal 5:20, Eph 5:5, Col 3:5, 1 Th 1:9, 1 Pt 4:3, 1 Jn 5:21, Rev 2:14, 9:20, 21:8 & 22:15)

3. Do not take the Name of the LORD in vain (Mt 5:33-37, 1 Tim 6:1, Jms 2:7).

4. Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy. Six days shall you labor & do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God: in it you shall do no work (Mt 12:8 and 12 & 24:20, Mk 1:21, 2:27-28 and 6:2, Lk 4:16 and 31, 6:5 & 23:56, Acts 13:14 & 42-44, 15:21, 16:13, 17:1-2 & 18:4, Heb 4:4 & 9-10).

5. Honor you father & your mother (Mt 15:4 & 19:19, Mk 7:10 & 10:19, Lk 18:20, Rom 1:30, Eph 6:1-3, Col 3:20, 2 Tim 3:2).

6. You shall not murder (Mt 5:21-26 (see also Eph 4:26 & 31-32) & 19:18, Mk 7:21 & 10:19, Lk 18:20, Rom 1:29 & 13:9, Gal 5:21, 1 Tim 1:9, Jms 2:11, 1 Pt 4:15, 1 Jn 3:15, Rev 9:21, 21:8 & 22:15).

7. You shall not commit adultery (Mt 5:27-32 & 19:18, Mk 7:21, 10:11-12 & 19, Lk 16:18 & 18:20, Acts 21:25, Rom 1:29, 2:22, 7:3 & 13:9, 1 Cor 5:11, 6:9 & 18 & 10:8, Gal 5:19, Eph 5:2, 1 Th 4:3, Heb 13:4, Jms 2:11, 2 Pt 2:14, Jude 1:7, Rev 2:14, 2:21-22 & 9:21).

8. You shall not steal (Mt 19:18, Mk 7:22 & 10:19, Lk 18:20, Rom 2:21 & 13:9, 1 Cor 5:10-11 & 6:10, Eph 4:28, 1 Pt 4:15, Rev 9:21).

9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor (Mt 15:19 & 19:18, Mk 10:19, Lk 18:20, Jn 8:44, Acts 5:3-4, Rom 1:29 & 13:9, Eph 4:25, Col 3:9, 1 Tim 4:2, 2 Tim 3:3, Rev 21:8 & 22:15).

10. You shall not covet...anything that is you neighbor's (Mk 7:22, Lk 12:15, Acts 20:33, Rom 1:29, 7:7 & 13:19, 1 Cor 5:10-11 & 6:10, Gal 5:19, Eph 5:3 & 5, 1 Tim 6:10, 2 Tim 3:2, 2 Pt 2:14 & Heb 13:5).

To the law & to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them (Isaiah 8:20).

Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, & may enter through the gates into the city. But outside are dogs and sorcerers & sexually immoral & murderers & idolaters, & whoever loves & practices a lie (Rev 22:14-15).

The Old Covenant (in Ex 19) involved the Hebrews vowing to do what's written in Ex 20 on their own power, & it was sealed with the blood of animals. Covenants have to be sealed with blood. However, before Moses even had time to come back down Mount Sinai, they had already broken the covenant (see Ex 32). The New Covenant is based on God GIVING us the power to keep His laws by writing it on our hearts (see Heb 8-10) & the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (see Jn 14-16 and Acts 2), & it was sealed with the blood of Jesus Christ come in the flesh (see 1 Jn 4:1-6) at the crucifixion (see Jn 19 & Heb 10).

The NT is useless w/o the OT. How is one supposed to know Jesus is the Messiah unless they know the OT (see Jn 1:45)? Revelation is nearly useless w/o Dan 7. There are many OT stories that provide us encouragement concerning the time of trouble such as never was since there was a nation that is soon coming. How would we know that God will certainly feed us & clothes us during this time in which we cannot buy or sell save that He did so for the Hebrews in Exodus or for Elijah in 1 Kings? Yes, we can take Him at His word in Matt 6, but He has provided examples for us already. How would we know what "as in the days of Noah" or "as in the days of Lot" means w/o the OT?

• 8 years ago

A good house begins with a strong foundation. The old testament is the foundation & it helps us to learn who God is as we get to know Him. But the old testament is written for Israel, God's chosen people. The old testament was full of prophecy which was fulfilled when Jesus came into he world. Jesus Himself said He did not come to do away with the old testament but to fulfill it. It is done.

The new testament is the gospels according to the apostles & the instructions for the church age which is where we are now. So your best bet is to begin with the new testament & get into a youth bible study so that you can learn about the old bible stories & how they relate to the rest of the bible. They are more than just stories. Everything is connected but you are too young to comprehend it now. You are on the right track . . keep going & learn all you can.

• The Old Testament is about God's covenant with Jewish people. Yes, you can embrace the wisdom of the message and lean from the stories about things that has happened in the past. However, Jesus has a new covenant with Christians and the New Testament tells about that.

You have freedom to celebrate different things, dress up they way you like, eat things but as many things are permissible the all things are not beneficial to us.

There is ceremonial law and the Moral Law. The Moral Law is still in tact.

• NikS
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Heres a simple way to think of the bible. The old testament, also known as the torah for jews is the time before jesus - when God was wrathful and demanded sacrifices from his creation. When he gave us Jesus, it is the new testament - he created a new bond with mankind, including all, not just the jews. Jesus was the last sacrifice.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

A person who lives by love - centered on others instead of themselves - does not need rules.

They would never do anything to hurt others.

They would go out of their way to help others.

The rules were meant for a certain people at a certain time in history. We can learn from the example.

It's like when you were smaller. You were given rules in the house - rules with love and peace as the motive. Now that you're a little older, you can put the kiddy rules aside and take the essence of them with you into adulthood. The motive for the rules is to keep the peace, safety and love.

Jesus is enough. If you are in a loving relationship with him, you don't want to sin. Thou shalt not murder becomes; you won't ever want to murder. The rule transforms into a promise... a new nature.... where the rules become part of who you are.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

That's why the only honest Christian is one who follows ALL the bible to the letter. Most Christians will tell you...."nuh-uh! Um...old testament is not relevant now, because Jesus said so!"

But you were right in what you said.....Jesus specifically states in the Sermon on the Mount that he did NOT come to abolish the old law, and it still stands until all has come to pass.

So, if you want to remain honest, you must follow all the laws in the bible, or you can realise it's all nonsense and not follow any of it. QED.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.