Where is Afrikaans most spoken in South Africa and how many people speak it?

I recently went to South Africa (Cape Town and Durban) and everyone I met/stayed with seemed to speak English. Only once did someone mention they had a friend who was an 'Afrikaner'. Also one of the guys I stayed with said that at school they all learn Afrikaans as if it was a foreign language. So... show more I recently went to South Africa (Cape Town and Durban) and everyone I met/stayed with seemed to speak English. Only once did someone mention they had a friend who was an 'Afrikaner'. Also one of the guys I stayed with said that at school they all learn Afrikaans as if it was a foreign language. So basically, my question is how many people in South Africa speak Afrikaans, and where is it most dominant? And are those who speak Afrikaans also fluent in English as I am told the languages are as close as can be. Thanks
1 answer 1