Paula Deen and his brother's crumbling empire further isolated, 12 major brands rejected her already?

Is the use of "N" word far more intolerable than any other word in the English language. Did the word gain its currency in the South where Deen is from?

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/paula-deens-empire-...

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Paula Deen is the victim of mob mentality. She is no different than you or me. She has her faults - and if anything she does not hide them. While you or I might sneak into the refrigerator late at night for that sinful bite of Mac & Cheese - Deen puts it out there and embraces it - and appeals to our guilty pleasures.

She admitted to having used the "N" word 27 years ago. She talked about herself openly, and said quite truthfully that she is certain that her use of the word is not much different than the rest of us - we all have attitudes we don't like, or beliefs that we do not make public.

Deen is also a Democrat, an Obama supporter.

So, because we as a country can sometimes turn into a vocal, intolerant mob, this complete non-issue has become the railroading of the century. This woman cannot apologize enough for being open about her own humanity. She has unwittingly become an extremely controversial political figure - with torch-bearing, stone-throwing angry citizens seeking to break down her door and burn her out.

I don't blame the networks for dropping her - they respond to public opinion and ratings. It isn't their place to take up political positions and risk damaging their income stream by going against popular opinion - but it's very sad that the people of this country have turned on her with such vitriol, encased in such hypocrisy and intolerance.

As for the "word" - it gained currency when it was realized how powerful it could be. For years, people tried to empower similar words - words like "Jew" or "Cracker" - but in our refusal to allow the simple words to replace the actual hatred they represented, the words lost their impact. The "N" word has gained currency because of the extent to which those it is used against are willing to exploit their own offense; combined with the penchant for political correctness on the part of those who would not use it. The more taboo it becomes, the more power it gains.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

Never watched her in the past but this recent media bullying and PC has me on her side. The left has incrementally convinced America to shut up in areas it wants to dominate. The 1st amendment is under attack. The market place and the majority of Americans will decide whether Paula Deen survives, just as Chick Fil A saw their profits soar after they came under attack by the left. Rush Limbaugh also came out on top, with even more listeners than ever after the left called him out on his description of a liberal college student wanting her numerous contraceptives paid for by taxpayers, as a slut. The advertisers that abandoned him wanted to return when the heat died down, but Rush knew who had betrayed him and replaced them with eager new advertisers. The same will happen with Deen over time.

• It just proves that extortion works.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Kind of narrows down my choices.That's all.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

to be fair I found her very annoying before all this

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.