Christians and atheists your thoughts on the movie The Exorcist?

Christians do you consider The Exorcist a pro or anti Christian movie?

Father Karras and Father Merrin both seem to be portrayed as heroes in the movie who basically give their lives to cast the demon out of the young girl Regan so it seems the movie could be said to portray Christians and Christianity favorably but what do you all think??

Atheists I guess I just want your take on the quality of the film whether it made you laugh, cry and hide in terror?

• Tiger
    Favorite Answer

Garbage. Exorcism is a not a Biblical concept today. And in any way it has never been done the way you see it in the movie.

Exorcism (commanding demons to leave other people) was practiced by various people in the Gospels and the Book of Acts—the disciples as part of Christ's instructions (Matthew 10); others using Christ's name (Mark 9:38); the children of the Pharisees (Luke 11:18-19); Paul (Acts 16); and certain exorcists (Acts 19:11-16).

It appears that the purpose of Jesus' disciples performing exorcisms was to show Christ's dominion over the demons (Luke 10:17) and to verify that the disciples were acting in His name and by His authority. It also revealed their faith or lack of faith (Matthew 17:14-21). It was obvious that this act of casting out demons was important to the ministry of the disciples. However, it is unclear what part casting out demons actually played in the discipleship process.

Interestingly, there seems to be a shift in the latter part of the New Testament regarding demonic warfare. The teaching portions of the New Testament (Romans through Jude) refer to demonic activity, yet do not discuss the actions of casting them out, nor are believers exhorted to do so. We are told to put on the armor to stand against them (Ephesians 6:10-18). We are told to resist the devil (James 4:7), be careful of him (1 Peter 5:8), and not give him room in our lives (Ephesians 4:27). However, we are not told how to cast him or his demons out of others, or that we should even consider doing so.

The book of Ephesians gives clear instructions on how we are to have victory in our lives in the battle against the forces of evil. The first step is placing our faith in Christ (2:8-9), which breaks the rule of “the prince of power of the air” (2:2). We are then to choose, again by God's grace, to put off ungodly habits and to put on godly habits (4:17-24). This does not involve casting out demons, but rather renewing our minds (4:23). After several practical instructions on how to obey God as His children, we are reminded that there is a spiritual battle. It is fought with certain armor that allows us to stand against—not cast out—the trickery of the demonic world (6:10). We stand with truth, righteousness, the gospel, faith, salvation, the Word of God, and prayer (6:10-18).

It appears that as the Word of God was completed, the Christians had more weapons with which to battle the spirit world than the early Christians did. The role of casting out demons was replaced, for the most part, with evangelism and discipleship through the Word of God. Since the methods of spiritual warfare in the New Testament do not involve casting out demons, it is difficult to determine instructions on how to do such a thing. If necessary at all, it seems that it is through exposing the individual to the truth of the Word of God and the name of Jesus Christ.

MIMI

The movie was fictional but some of it was based upon some real events not with a girl being possessed but a boy who was possessed in which a Priest had preformed an exorcism. I can say however from reading the testimony of a Catholic Priest Exorcist he stated the the ritual used during the movie The Exorcist was authentic in being the Roman Ritual used for exorcisms.

The other thing which people don' know the author who is a Catholic himself never intended the book to be a horror novel it was suppose to be a detective mystery novel. When his book was released it was classified as being a horror novel.

I think it's a brilliantly done film, just too scary to wath.

I don't think it's meant to portray Christianity badly; the movie just takes the stance that this stuff really exists, and carries it to it's logical conclusion, it doesn't hold back-- naturally the devil would say some shocking things had he possesed a little girl.

I don't think it's meant to totally celebrate Christianity either, or even to try and prove Christianity right. This is just the setting-- a world in which all this stuff exists. Karras struggles with that through almost the whole movie, when he accepts it he does what he has to do.

• Ray

Cool movie. Like anything else out of Hollywood, it is not to be trusted with the facts of the subject. If you want to know what possession and exorcism are really like, there are books written by people who have been involved in it. I have seen a taste of it, myself.

I think it is favorable to Christianity in general. So was that Anthony Hopkins movie, "The Rite". I do think that the sequel to "The Exorcist" was just a vehicle for showing off the hotness of Linda Blair as she got older, and an attempt to capitalize on the success of the first movie. Shamefully, it is in my collection, but that is because I am one of those completists who must finish off a set of movies if I start collecting them.

Pantheist, but I align myself with atheists

I'm mixed on the quality. I felt at some points, they were just going for shock value (like the masturbating with the cross scene.) At other times, I do concede it was scary. The premise itself is, if you believe in that sort of thing, and I used to believe that, so it's easy for me to get into that mindset. It never gave me nightmares per say, but I always though it was cruel to make that little girl go through all that for a d*mn movie. Poor kid broke her back filming that thing. That's painful enough for an adult to go through, so I can only imagine what a little girl must have felt. THAT disturbed me more then the movie itself did.

I'm leaning more towards it being anti Christian. The girl says some pretty shocking things about God ( or just bad things in general) Also, even thought the priests were there to help her, if I remember correctly, don't they die in the process? It seems to suggest that evil was more powerful than good. So much so that Linda Blairs' character was haunted/possessed again in the two sequals: The Heretic, and Reposessed (which I think is a comedy??)

That said the movie doesn't really scare me. It just makes me cringe at what they made that little 12 year old do. What the put the actors through (extreme temperatures, spinal injuries etc.) But I did like learning about it, and what a controversy it was when it first came out!

Hope that answered your question!

Lousy movie, in my opinion. It's really not as scary as people made it out to be. I know it was the scariest movie ever at the time, but honestly, I've seen movies that came out around the same time that were far scarier.

It just seemed like it was trying to hard to be edgy and shocking, and it falls flat for me.

I didn't even think about how it portrays Christians and Christianity. I don't really think it portrays them any particular way.

Source(s): atheist
  • Quique

I don't have much to say about the movie. However, the person that made it is another story. The Exorcist is not just another Hollywood feature. William Blatty did his homework.

Q.

That movie screwed my head backwards and made me puke green, Jenk:

And it is a mockery of what the Bible says about being saved or lost.

If you just break one of God's commandments you are guilty of all, says the Bible.

If someone says they know Him and don't keep His commandments, they are a liar and the truth is not in them.

And so it goes, but here we have a priest, who breaks God's commandments, may molest children, or whatever, professing to cast out demons.

That movie made people who do not go to church feel complacent as they feel saved as compared to the green-puker.

If you really want the truth, then God has a special message that will prepare you for great delusions that will soon ravage Earth:

English: http://revelado.org/thetimeoftheend.pdf . Arabic: http://revelado.org/arabic.pdf

Blessings, Messiah

Great movie, but it is fiction, and nothing more. I've been scared by movies before, the exorcist is no exception.

Source(s): Atheist