Jake asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 6 years ago

Can I be a heart surgeon with slightly shaky hands?

Separate Question: Can I be a heart surgeon with a slight essential tremor??

I am not sure if it is an essential tremor or not which is why I am asking both. It is a slight shakiness of the hands.


Don't bull **** me with that surgical consultant ****. That is a **** job which I will not do. I wanted to be a cardiac surgeon since I was three. It really sucks since I am 21 and the shaking started a year ago. Guess I am ****** and will be miserable for the rest of my life, seeing as I will never reach my dream. Thanks for answering

Update 2:

I don't think you would notice it. It is so little that I don't see how any patient would notice it!!!

Update 3:

I like the medical field, but I do not think I would be able to take it if I don't do at least 1 operation a week. So I don't think I would want to be a non-surgical doctor. Digging around inside the living human anatomy with my hands is what really intrigues me.

5 Answers

  • 6 years ago
    Best Answer

    Do you want to be a doctor in general? You could figure out in medical school if your hands are too shaky. You could still be a cardiologist and not a cardinal surgeon if they shake too much. I want to be a surgeon but if my hands don't work properly I won't mind being a doctor.

  • 4 years ago


    Source(s): Reverse Diabetes Without Drugs : http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?oQGl
  • I had the exact same problem, I wanted to be a surgeon yet I had recently developed a tremor in my right hand.

    I researched this, luckily mine went away, but everyone's hands shake slightly anyway and when training and specialising to be a surgeon you will learn to be more still and careful. Plus if this does not work out there are many other jobs in this area you could do so keep your mind open, for example you could even be a surgical consultant.

    Source(s): Many internet pages.
  • 6 years ago

    Jake...would YOU want a cardiac surgeon with shakes hands operating on YOU.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Annie
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

    Sorry, but shakiness of any kind rules out any surgical specialty. I suggest you get evaluated at a (neurology) movement disorders clinic to see if there is any treatment that could help you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.