Tori asked in SportsOther - Sports · 8 years ago

How do I prepare to be a flyer for cheerleading?

My middle school coach wants me to be a flyer. But I have good tumbling. She wants me to be a flyer because I'm really flexible and have really good balance. But I need to become more flexible. I'm 5'1 1/2 I weigh about 90 pounds. What do I need to so to prepare to be a flyer?

Favorite Answer

You sound just like me! I made the team for high school and my coach decided to make me a flyer. Make sure you stretch every day. To prepare, you really just need to stretch a lot and listen to your coach when you practice. Flyer is the hardest spot because you do most of the work (my coaches' words, not mine!). If you lean one direction or don't keep yourself tight, you could make the whole stunt fall. It's not so much a weight matter, it's how you hold yourself in the air. Always look higher than you are flying, lift up with your chest and shoulders, and stay tight. If you look down or let yourself be loose, that's what makes you heavy. You need to remember all these things, but don't over think it or become scared. As long as you trust your bases and spots and listen to your coach, you'll be perfectly safe. Cheers!

Source(s): I'm a flyer

Do the 100 day stretching challenge (eg just stretching and pulling all your positions every day for 100 days. you run it, not a system.), and work out. Basically, you have an important job in getting up there clean and tight. If the bases are doing all the work you're going to annoy your stunt group and have a very sloppy stunt. Go to the gym! It won't hurt! Pretend that there is a penny in your butt. Squeeze real hard so the penny doesn't fall out. That's how my allstar team makes sure people stay tight. Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!

Stretching every day, and practice your balance and keeping you knees locked and staying tight while you're up there.. im a base and nothing is worse than having a bobbly loose flyer haha!

Source(s): base

If i were you, i'd try to workout a little more, doing cardio and stretches so i could be as light as possible. The lighter you are the easier it is to get you in the air!

Try shredding workouts like, 30 Day Yoga, or 30 Day shred t get as lean and light as possible.