Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 5
? asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

Why do Conservatives care if a private business fires Paula Dean?

Oh right, it is "defend a racist" day and Republicans finally show that they will only rail against the rights of private business in order to defend racism.

Update:

@Dcntamcn - You sadly leave out the Dixiecrats and why the Republicans became racist and associated with racism. Sadly you already knew that but you chose to ignore the truth. Very pathetic!

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The right claims to support business yet if a business does something they don't like, the right calls for a boycott. I've heard some commentators on Fox say that with regard to the companies that dumped Deen.

• 8 years ago

So let me guess, you have never done anything, especially over 2 decades ago that might at some point come back to bite you? You are prefect and never acted out in a situation of any kind? One of the reasons to care about this is because if businesses are going to continue to cave to every new thing that comes along, pretty soon the free market will no longer exist as we know it. Major retailers are attempting to be so PC that they are going to cut off their nose to spite their face. After all Kmart and Sears still sells Martha Stewart products, Jane Fonda still had a successful career, and none are holding their actions against them in this manner. While these businesses have a right to do business as they see fit, one day they will be forced to realize that following the crowd may not be the right way to promote a successful business. I am sure at some point in your life, you have made a racist comment, or done something that others would scorn, so does this mean that no one should ever support anything you do in the future? By the way how many businesses have the left called for a boycott or attempted to drive under because of business practices they do not agree with? Or supported because of business practices? You also seem to fail to note that anyone of any race, any belief system can be racist. Your knowledge of the "truth" as you call it also seems to be lacking.

• 8 years ago

Conservatives don't, and won't, defend racism since it's the heart of the Dem Party and has made Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Teddy Kennedy, and every other Dem a fortune. You need find a private school that will educate you in history......Republican Lincoln freed the slaves, freed slaves voted by far for Republicans for a century, Martin Luther King was a registered Republican. Currently the Republican Party is the home of Conservatism.

• 8 years ago

This racist crap is so overblown and out of place that normal people refuse to acknowledge it anymore. A black can call another black by the N-word, but God forbid anyone else to do it. That is not only racist, but it violates the 1st Amendment (freedom of speech).

Double standards suck, and the tail is wagging the dog, both must stop. Paula Dean is an accomplished entrepreneur who made it big, and I personally hope it continues for her. God damn these mealy mouthed corporations that jump through hoops every time dip shiit Al Sharpton or Jesse Sr. decides to take up a cause. GOP and liberals alike, they all need to quit pandering for votes.

• 8 years ago

Obviously businesses can do what they want, but we are "railing" against the unfairness of it. Deen admitted freely to using the word ONCE almost 30 years ago after she was mugged by a black man. I guess you would have had her say, "Then this gentleman came up to me and stole my purse." Sheesh... She was righteously pis$$ed at the time.

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Why do Liberals care if a Private Business fires a Gay, Black, Mexican, Midget etc...

Can we start terminating all those "Celebrities" and Professional Athletes who use words like "Cracker" or "Honky" which as we know are racist and derogatory terms as well? If you were truly sincere about being fair you'd say yes.

• ?
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

What do you think about Alec Baldwin Homophobic outburst? Oh, I'm sure you say no big deal but if the outburst came from Rush Limbaugh, you little liberal people would be crying and screaming for every sponsor to drop him and you wouldn't let up until he was destroyed.....you're a joke

• ?
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

I don't care at all.

But you can believe they have a right to fire her while still disagreeing with the decision. Unlike you, some people support freedom even when it has outcomes they don't like.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Ha! Are the pro business cons around here REALLY complaining about a private business firing someone?

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I don't much care about it. They can do whatever they want. But keep in mind Paula Deen is an Obama supporter. Just sayin.....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.