Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 8 years ago

Can anyone help me break down the structure of this sentence?

Because she enjoys the exercise, Patricia, along with several of her friends, skates every Friday evening.

I know "she" is the noun, the action is "enjoys." But how do I know that the descriptive phrase "along with several friends" makes enjoy and skates agree?

Also is the only noun in this sentence "she"?

Also is the only verb in the sentence "enjoys"? Or is it also skates? Or exercise?

Is there any adverbs or adjectives?

• Tom L
    Favorite Answer

Because she enjoys the exercise - Dependent adverbial clause. Subordinating conjunction = because; clause subject = she; clause verb = enjoys; object of verb = the exercise

Patricia = Subject of independent clause

along with several of her friends = Adjectival (NOT adverbial) prepositional phrase, modifying 'Patricia.' Contains internal prepositional phrase 'of her friends,' modifying 'several'.

skates = verb of independent clause

every Friday evening = adverbial phrase

Okay, lets do some grammar! :P

"She" is actually a pronoun, while her name "Patricia' is the noun. A proper noun if you want to get precise.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'agree' in your first question. But 'Along with several friends' is an adverbial phrase if that helps at all. Put simply, an adverbial phrase is a phrase that alters/further describes a verb (so something that is happening) in the same way an averb would.

As previously stated, Patricia is a (proper) noun and 'she' is a pronoun. Also, 'excercise' is used here as a noun, as it is not depicting the act of excercising, but the concept. 'Evening' is a noun. 'Friday' is a proper noun. 'Friends' is a noun.

'Enjoys' is a verb, and so is 'skates'.

Again, there is an adverbial phrase. There are no distinct singular adverbs, though.

There are adjectives however. 'Along' is used as an adjective. 'Several' is an adjective as it is changing the description of 'friends' (a noun). 'Every' is also an adjective.

The sentence is really badly worded, so it's pretty confusing :P Hope I helped :)

Source(s): I'm a writing student at uni, but here are the things I wasn't 100% sure about. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/every?s=t http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/along?s=t
  • Mamie

First of all, SHE is not a noun. SHE is a pronoun. PATRICIA is a noun and the subject of the sentence.

I don't understand your first question, so I can't respond to it.

The nouns in the sentence are: exercise, Patricia, friends, evening

The verbs in the sentence are: enjoys, skates (BTW, skates is the primary verb in the sentence, not enjoys.)

Adjective: every

Adverb: there are none

Let's re-write this so you can see what's happening: Patricia and several of her friends enjoy skating every Friday evening because they enjoy the exercise.

• ?

In the sentence in your Yahoo question, "along with several friends" is an adverbial phrase indicating that several of her friends skate with Patricia. Good luck.