Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Heather asked in HealthDental · 8 years ago

Should I be worried about this painful swelling in my cheek after dental surgery?

I was in need of getting dentures, so 4 days ago I had a total of 14 teeth extracted (11 upper, 1 lower left, 2 lower right) with 6 sets of sutures. I now have a golf ball sized mass on my right cheek which is visibly red, solid, and is very painful and hot to the touch. Is this simply just swelling that is normal after trauma to the mouth or should I be worried? My dentist does not re-open until Monday morning, and I am supposed to return to work Monday as well.

I have followed normal post-op care given to me including warm salt water rinses, ibuprofen for swelling, amoxicillin for any present infection, and Chlorhexidine Gluconate Oral Rinse, .12%.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 8 years ago

I suggest calling your dentists office and leaving a message on their voice mail. They may check it throughout the weekend and give you a call back. Also, there may be an after hours number on their voice mail that you can call to find out if this is normal in your situation. Good luck!

Source(s): 15 years dental and oral surgery office experience
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.