Was Spartacus the only true heterosexual Roman?

Favorite Answer

I think the question broke down at the word heterosexual. To the Romans, as strange as this sounds, there was no 'homosexual' and 'heterosexual'. They obviously distinguished between relationships with same sex and opposite sex, but neither one was really judged as better or worse than the other (except obviously for the purpose of procreation). There was simply sexuality and asexuality. If you read the Roman (or ancient Greek) poets, you'll find that they had love interests with both males and females. (Catullus, Martial, Ovid) That wasn't considered unusual at all in their time.

As for Spartacus, he was a slave, and in all honesty, in Rome the odds are that if (as the TV series you're referring to indicates) he was attractive he was used for prostitution by his master. Whether he had a preference for one or the other I have no idea.

Probably not the kind of answer you were looking for, but these are the facts as I know them. I'm a scholar of Rome and Ancient Greece. :) Hope it helped maybe a bit. ^^

Cheers!

Source(s): University education in the Classics

First of, not every Roman had sex with the same gender and second Spartacus was a slave and back then slaves had no citizenship and thus was not a Roman.

Source(s): European historian and a transgender.

Spartacus was Thracian, not Roman.

Do you suppose you could define "true heterosexual"? Your question seems to assume that every Roman (by which I presume you mean Roman citizen) was gay, lesbian or bi, which is not even close to true.

Well....he has a cute butt