Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 8 years ago

Windows defender service status stopped?

So I suck at computer stuff and I am newish to windows 8.

I had a nortons trial and it expired so now I have nothing and I think I got a virus because my account is doing a bunch of weird things. I got on the admin account and found out about the defender thing that is automatically on windows 8.

When I click on it it says :

Windows defender is turned off and is not monitoring your computer (something like that)

I somehow got to this page where there were settings on it and it said STOPPED, someone said I need to change it to "automatic" but the bar is not clickable to change it...

Confused. Need help, please!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You have to do this from your Administrator account or it won't work, so log into your computer's Administrator account. Press the Windows key and the R key together to open the Run dialog box. Type in services.msc. This will bring up the Services dialog box. Scroll down to find Windows Defender. Right-click on it and select Start. This should start the Windows Defender Service. Once it has started,update it and run a full scan.

• 8 years ago

Uninstall Norton Security.

Restart your System.

Enable Windows Defender from control panel.

Then update it to the newest definition.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.