Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 8 years ago

Windows defender service status stopped?

So I suck at computer stuff and I am newish to windows 8.

I had a nortons trial and it expired so now I have nothing and I think I got a virus because my account is doing a bunch of weird things. I got on the admin account and found out about the defender thing that is automatically on windows 8.

When I click on it it says :

Windows defender is turned off and is not monitoring your computer (something like that)

I somehow got to this page where there were settings on it and it said STOPPED, someone said I need to change it to "automatic" but the bar is not clickable to change it...

Confused. Need help, please!

• ?
    Favorite Answer

You have to do this from your Administrator account or it won't work, so log into your computer's Administrator account. Press the Windows key and the R key together to open the Run dialog box. Type in services.msc. This will bring up the Services dialog box. Scroll down to find Windows Defender. Right-click on it and select Start. This should start the Windows Defender Service. Once it has started,update it and run a full scan.

Uninstall Norton Security.

Restart your System.

Enable Windows Defender from control panel.

Then update it to the newest definition.