What do I need to go with a very old Pioneer turntable?

i have a relatively old pioneer turntable and my dad said something about needing an analog stereo or receiver to make it play. So I'm wondering what that means exactly and I'm hoping he's wrong and that i can use something that we already have. So the long and short of it is what do i need to go along with the old Pioneer turntable?

Favorite Answer

You can use a newer receiver all you need is a "phono preamp". Hook your turntable to the preamp then hook the preamp to the receiver, Older receivers or high end new ones will have a preamp built in so they will be labeled phono at the hookups.