Margaret asked in HealthMental Health · 8 years ago

How do I deal with pre-trial stress?

Mother was abusive and lost custody of me and my siblings for some time now. We were in foster care for about 2 years give or take. Now my mother wants my siblings back and I aged out so I don't have to go back to her. I am supposed to testify in a few days in order to try to prevent my mother from regaining custody. I've been through trials before but this time I've been very stressed. I lost my job recently and had a falling out with my best friend. I only get real support from my foster family and my siblings. Nobody else seems to understand what I am going through, including the psychiatrist I am seeing. I'm scared I might mess up somehow and then my siblings will go back to a really bad situation. What can I do to deal with my anxiety?

• C
    Favorite Answer

Speak from your heart and it may be painful but recall those experiences that caused her to lose you all. After this court hearing she should know what it feels like to not be treated right by someone you loved. Be brutally honest with no holes barred. Paint the emotional picture for the judge.

I don't know.

Anxiolytics?

Yoga?

Religion?

Philosophy?

Here is some philosophy:

Dhamma claims that there are two kinds of health, namely, physical health and mental health. Many people enjoy good physical health even into old age. But relatively few people enjoy good mental health unless they are vigilant and relentless in rooting out delusional thinking, alleviating ignorance via insight and rational inquiry.

Your perceptions and desires are products of conditioning and other sentient experience you have acquired up to this point in life. You can change the contents of your mind, and you can shape your mind to be pro-social, rational, and smarter, too. (That task is part of what is called mental development and, in my opinion, requires a long-term commitment to high quality education about the real world beyond any current problematic situation, including the evolution of our species, and how the human mind has evolved with evolution of our brain.)

Some kinds of suffering are self-imposed although we do not always recognize this to be the case. Instead we are on a sort of automatic behavior method of coping with reality. We can change our sentient experience however by a sort of deconstruction into component parts; from that point it is ultimately a matter of adopting new, rational, wholesome paradigms.

Consciousness is a function of a cognitive neural network processing both sensory data and memory. Sentient experience can be subjectively deconstructed into four foundations of mindfulness:

1. Mindfulness of body.

2. Mindfulness of sensation as pleasant, unpleasant, or neutral (physical sensation).

3. Mindfulness of state of mind (attitude, emotion).

4. Mindfulness of content of mind (ideas, learned skills, memory, mental images, beliefs).

Sit in a comfortable position, legs crossed and back erect if possible, and with as little noise and distraction as possible. Focus your mind only on your breathing, counting mentally “1 in, 1 out, 2 in, 2 out, 3 in …” and so on for a cycle of four or five breaths. If your mind strays from your breath, which it inevitably will, make the experience the target of mindfulness, attempt to deconstruct the activity as in the above schema, and return to count the breaths mentally.

As you do this there will be the usual background of a continuous stream of thoughts, random or specific ideas, and images, feelings that come and go. Any of these can distract you, but you can just ignore them, too. The brain will do this sort of thing as long as you live. There is no need to suppress any of it; your brain normally processes information via random association or cognitive models you have acquired either on purpose or by random experience. These are the things that usually drive your perceptions and behavior, even your dreams.

Source(s): http://www.uctv.tv/search-moreresults.aspx?keyword... Two simple approaches to mind shaping: "How to Enjoy Your Life in Spite of It All" by Ken Keyes, Jr. "A New Guide to Rational Living" by Albert Ellis & Robert A. Harper See comments by Denim at this site: http://debateunlimited.com/Debate/viewtopic.php?t=...

Wow, sounds pretty much like my life story.

I agree with what C said.