Anonymous

How important is your senior year of high school as far as colleges are concerned.?

I am trying to make it into Texas a&m university. I have just finished my junior year in high school and am going to be a senior when the summer is over. My freshmen and sophomore years were decent, I took as many advances classes as I could and I did fairly well in them. However in my junior year year I bit off a little more than I could chew. I miserably failed AP art history and passed all my other classes( 3 of them were advanced) with very low grades. I was hoping that I might be able to make this up during my senior year , However I have heard that colleges are not very interested in your senior year and are more interested in the average of how you did your first three years of high school. Is this true and if so how can I counter it. PLEASE HELP!

Favorite Answer

By far junior year is the most important since it is right before you apply. Grades overall are important and they look at all years and what kind of classes you took. They want to see you challenged yourself. Balance out the grades with outside activities. It is true they don't really care about senior year but they have the power to revoke admission based on poor senior year grades. So keep it up and also financial aid and scholarships want to see good grades all around.

Source(s): College student

Yeah I heard about that too but that's not going to stop me from going for it. I'm also going to be a senior and I'm taking AP classes next year. I don't think that logic is fair. We have four years of high school, and some of us are busting our butts till the end and are taking challenging classes that need to be recognized like AP biology 2 for example. I'm sure they aren't going to totally disregard your fourth year of high school because it gets more into stuff that you'll see in college, and we have four years of high school for a reason. But they probably just won't pay any attention to the ones who got to leave school hours early cause they just had to finish the basic classes and that's it.

I also heard that colleges are only concerned with your four core classes (Math, Science, English, Social Studies) and they focus on your accumulative GPA from those four classes alone, even though you have to take all these other electives and stuff that are crucial to you graduating. I can get over that, even though that means my GPA would probably be lower but it still kind of sucks

They generally base their decisions off of your first 3 years but they will most likely not accept you without a high school diploma (no senior year)