Why is water overflowing from my furnace?

We have a very old Chrysler Airtemp furnace in our hallway closet. I think it might be from the 1970's. Anyways, it was recently leaking water (overflow) from the condensate pipe that was clogged with debris. We blew out the debris with compression and poured water into the pipe to test that the water was going outside my home.

A few months later it has started to overflow once again but this time it is not the condensate pipe. What else can be causing my furnace to overflow with condensation water after running the AC for a long time? The water seems to only build up and overflow if the AC unit is on for a long time.

Any helpful advice is worth a million bucks to me right now! Thank you so much!

It has been a few months later and now it is clogged again. This time it is not the condensate pipe because it is clear and water runs right through it and outside my home. What else can be causing the overlfow of water?

My condensate pipe is PVC by the way. There is no leaking but rather overflowing water.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

You should be able to move the panel away from the air handler where the condensate line exits the unit. Look at the inside of the condensate pan for a bunch of crud built up by the drain. I bet yours has some and it floats up to block the drain. Should be able to remove it with a shop vacuum. Just snurk out the loose stuff and don't try scraping any off or you might poke a hole in the old galvanized pan.

Copper or Steel pipes?

Steel, even galvanized RUSTS and this could be your corrosion. Fix, install a filtration system before it goes into your heating system.

To help save a headache or two, install a filtration system whether you have copper or steel.

Blowing the system:

When you blow a system, you need to perform a pressure check before using it. Depending on your system, it must maintain the same pressure for 12 hours. The teeniest, tiniest hairline crack will cause is to lose pressure over time, thus meaning, you will have leaks.

• Red E3

your coil might be freezing due to lack of air flow and or improper charge