What is the average amount of pages you would write per chapter for a lengthy-ish novel?

I'm just wondering what is the average amount of pages that I could write per chapter without making each chapter too long or too short. I firstly do not want to bore my readers with never-ending chapters and second I don't want to annoy them by cutting the chapter off too early without explaining much. This book will also be a little lengthy but not harry potter lengthy lol I'm aiming for it to be just above average length. Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it!! :)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • sissyj
    Lv 6
    6 years ago
    Best Answer

I think that between 5-10 pages should be good. However, you can have some longer and shorter, too. I think it should depend on how long your book is. I think that a book that is about 100 pages or so should have chapter that are between 5-10 pages, with some being shorter. Books that are longer should have chapters that are slightly longer, like between 10-15 pages, with some shorter and some longer. Having a long book with short chapters may get boring after awhile, especially for someone like me, who reads a chapter a day per book. However, some novels can pull off short chapters and still have a fast paced and interesting story. Some chapters that should be shorter may be the last chapter (since that chapter is wrapping up the story) and a prologue scene. Chapters that have a lot of the climax of the story should have a longer chapter.

• 6 years ago

First off, thanks for answering my previous question really helped a lot! Now then, a chapter would be at least 5-10 pages depending on the font size. If the pages font is lets say 12-14, it would be better to make it between 5 to 8 pages so it wont look boring, size 14-16 should be more than 8-10 pages if possible. Books like maximum ride is lengthy with normal font size 12 which takes about 2-4 pages a chapter. It mostly depends on the author since a chapter divides the story by its happenings.

Source(s): Young writer :)
  • 3 years ago

i think of financial disaster length ought to rely on the story you're writing and the objective on your chapters. as long because of the fact the chapters ruin at a organic place for the story, then you somewhat're positive. you do no longer must be strict and set a fifteen-20 website restrict for each financial disaster, or something. as long because of the fact the story breaks logically, you have a 5-website financial disaster next to a 30--website financial disaster and it would be positive.

• Athena
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Write enough to tell your story.

Some chapters maybe longer than others.

Just write your book and don't worry about how long it is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.