Carl asked in Social SciencePsychology · 8 years ago

Is life really as bad as it is in my mind, Please help?

If you break your life down it all seems pretty pointless, i mean your born then you go to school untill your 18 which is a miserable and boring experience then you either go to more school in college which is more miserable then eventually you have to get a job that you hate to work hours you don't want to work to get money just to give it away to live in a house, eat, and stay alive. you work 50+ hours every week just to make enough money to live and have a little left over to enjoy but then your working soo much you have no time to enjoy your money. then you just work your miserable job till you die. i was talking to my friend and i told them i dont really care if i died because there isn't much of a purpose in life its all just miserable and he told me "well isn't there things you still want to do?" and i got to thinking and yeah there is I wanna have sex, and get drunk but i can't really think of anything else that is worth staying for. so am all i living for is to have sex and to get drunk to forget about life?.... help please i need a positive outlook on stuff.

Favorite Answer

Hey Carl,

I can only speak from my own experiences, but I have found for me that the most important thing in my life, above everything else, is my relationship with my thoughts. Because that impacts on how I look at the world.

My advice for is to learn how to develop a stronger relationship with your thoughts.

You create your own reality, your thoughts create your perspective, which flow on to how you feel, how you act and what sort of impact that has on your day to day.

We see the world in the way that we are, not the way that the world is and if you can change the way that you look at things, the things you look at change. So everything in life is about your perspective and figuring out how to look at things in the best light for you (everyone is unique).

Be careful how you look at life, because that's how it will be. And life comes in waves, it's all about learning how to surf.

I'm not any kind of professional so I can't comment on whether seeing a professional is an option - it could be an option for where you're at. But from my perspective those kind of things are only good at treating things on the surface kind of area (which can be a good way to start), dealing with the different manifestations/symptoms of similar core issues.

Core issues being some kind of imbalance with your relationship between you and your thoughts…

Your mind is a tool that you need to learn how to use otherwise it will use you. It'll paint all kinds of pictures about how bad your life is, the terrible things that have happened, the unfortunate situation etc etc. You need to learn how to use the mind like a tool and observe master it, otherwise it will use you. This isn't the sort of thing that they teach us in school…

You are not your thoughts and you can't necessarily control your thoughts as much as you can control the ocean. It's about becoming more aware of your thinking, observing your mind objectively, without attachment and developing a stronger relationship with it to take the best action for you at that given time.

Think more epic, be more epic. It all starts with thought.

Life is about 10% what happens to you, things that are outside of your control, then 90% how you CHOOSE to react to it. You can't control life or other people, the only thing that you can control is your reaction to them.

Without the thought that there is a problem, there is no problem, it's all how you look at it. As Captain Jack Sparrow says, "The problem is not the problem, the problem is your reaction to the problem. Do you understand?"

I've put together video series called the 'Think Epic Principles' and at http://thinkepic.net/principles/ of simple concepts and ideas to help you develop a stronger relationship with your thoughts. Please go along and check them out there is more coming out every week, they could be what you're looking for.

Approach everything with an open mind but no so open that your brain falls out all over the floor. I'm not asking anyone to believe what I say, but take it with a grain of salt and think for yourself. But whatever is said (whether it was me, Ghandi, friends or family, a homeless person etc) if it aligns with you feel free to accept it, if it doesn't don't. But do seek to understand different perspectives. Just because you can understand something, does not mean you have to accept it.

If you find the videos useful or if you have any questions please fire me an email through the site, I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts as I've just launched the website to help people develop a stronger relationship with their thoughts - if they want to. Any feedback would be much appreciated, the more honest the better :)

Thanks and good luck!

That is basically the purpose of life in the 21st century. No hope, No help, No freedom you work for the illuminati once you enter the adult/college world. That's how I look at the world. Were just an ant civilization sitting in its prime obnoxious period of life. It's going to get worse the more you look at life from a depressing view point. Just look at all the unquestioning happy people out there. They do not see life like you and I. Do not kill yourself consciously because it's not worth it. Nothing seems to keep me content in this world except something like pot or masturbation which is a sad life I lead. But what I do have over the rest of the crowd is an open, and free mind. Consciousness is the key to not killing yourself. At the end of the day there is something to live for most of the time. Also a little meditation to some relaxing music or if you want to go crazy it's possible to meditate to some dubstep or rock. You don't know how many times I picture a bullet going through my head when I'm at work and my manager is yelling at me over not leaving by 8 so yeah we all need to find something positive to live for rather it be drug's, masturbation, dreaming, a sick hobby like cereal art or collecting stuffed animals and talking to them.

You are just thinking the basic steps of life. Born, school-college, job that make money which goes to the stuff you need-then you die. You just need to cut it down to the two facts, You are born and then you die. And between that period of time is choices that you make like drugs, sex, food, places, romance, children, alcohol, and what else there is to do on this planet. You just need to think with your time you can have fun with it even if you work you can still have fun. When you think do I care if I died right now? It depend if you want to throw that time away which could've been full of fun for nothing

Want a positive outlook?

Quiet down. Sit. look at what you wrote.

don't say anything in your mind, just look. What do you see?

miserable.... money... pointless............

That's it my friend. Look at your thoughts. Did you know how delicate our thoughts and our "reality" actually is? Have you tried to truly look positively, to trust, without hesitation or the slightest tarnish of doubt? If not, then there's always room for improvement. There will always be opportunities to do something meaningful and different for ourselves

and it all starts with us---we've gotta decide. Look at what you've wrote, does that make you happy? Do you want to change it? Can you? Absolutely, but taking a stand, telling life that you've got a chance and making it.

Once you've realized that you can either sink in the current or rise into the sky, life basically starts from that point. That point when we decide.

I can give you a long long 9023790123790213790 page thesis about life, but to sum it up, do this for me:

Forget about what people told you about life. Afterall, half of what we're looking at and facing in our life is through the perspective of others. We learn to fear life because of media, parents, peers, forgetting about ourselves. Do I listen to their perspective? To their experience? Or create mine now--Create a better one for myself.

you've got the power to do something better and this world is full of people who want to help you make that change. Take me for example. I'm answering this question because whether or not you'd believe me or even read this post, I'm here to help. Here to make the difference I can and I trust you will.

You can read up about changing your life. That may sound strange to you but the reason we feel lost is because we haven't learned enough. Do some research and apply it in your life. You'll be glad you did :)

Source(s): Myself and my experience. I thought my life was in pieces, but I remembered I had hands to build it again.

It's not 'life' that's bad. It's society that's bad. The wealthy dictate the way society is. How do they do it? They buy media, corporations, politicians, police, military, schools etc.

Well at least you have life figured out, so that's positive.