Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Joining the Israeli Defense Forces?

When I am of age I wish to move to Israel and join their army. However my parents nor grandparents or even great grandparents are Jewish. I however am an Orthodox Jew and want to fight for my Homeland. If anyone has any information that can better my knowledge or answer my question that would be wonderful. Also do you know if it is required to know Hebrew prior to enlistment.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi Jordan,

First of all Good for you for your decision!!!

If you want to fight for your homeland it doesn't matter if you don't have Jew roots. There are also non Jews in the IDF (Israeli defense Army).

Although not knowing a word in Hebrew it means it will be hard for you to get manage in the army, everything is in Hebrew and the officers will not speak English with you.

Remember that knowing Hebrew is not obligate to enter the army but you should know the basic.

Source(s): 4 years in the IDF
  • ?
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Your first step is to see if you are eligible for emigration to Israel. Ask a question on the Y!A Immigration board.

You might have to ask a question on the Religion board if you are really considered a Jew. They have strict rules on who is a Jew. You can't just "self-declare".

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I applaud you! It is not required but will help greatly. My suggestion (for all it's worth) is to purchase Rosetta Stone.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.