Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 7 years ago

How does Marriage by Proxy work?

Ok so i live in Houston (Harris county) Texas and I want to marry my boyfriend whosin jail on october 31st...I got more questions, when they have a 72 hour waiting period- so my marriage ceritificate says the 31st, do I have to go 3 days before or the day f the 31st or how?

Favorite Answer

This article explains it:

http://marriage.about.com/od/proxymarriages/qt/tex...

2.006 ABSENT APPLICANT.

(a) If an applicant is unable to appear personally before the county clerk to apply for a marriage license, any adult person or the other applicant may apply on behalf of the absent applicant.

(b) The person applying on behalf of an absent applicant shall provide to the clerk:

(1) the affidavit of the absent applicant as provided by this subchapter;

(2) proof of the identity and age of the absent applicant as provided by this subchapter; and

(3) if required because the absent applicant is a person under 18 years of age, the documents establishing parental consent, documents establishing that a prior marriage has been dissolved, or a court order authorizing the marriage of the absent, underage applicant.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 7, § 1, eff. April 17, 1997.

2.007 AFFIDAVIT OF ABSENT APPLICANT.

The affidavit of an absent applicant must include:

(1) the absent applicant's full name, including the maiden surname of a female applicant, address, date of birth, place of birth, including city, county, and state, citizenship, and social security number, if any;

(2) a declaration that the absent applicant has not been divorced within the last 30 days;

(3) a declaration that the absent applicant is:

(A) not presently married; or

(B) married to the other applicant and they wish to marry again;

(4) a declaration that the other applicant is not related to the absent applicant as:

(A) an ancestor or descendant, by blood or adoption;

(B) a brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption;

(C) a parent's brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption; or

(D) a son or daughter of a brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption;

(5) a declaration that the absent applicant desires to marry and the name, age, and address of the person to whom the absent applicant desires to be married;

(6) the approximate date on which the marriage is to occur;

(7) the reason the absent applicant is unable to appear personally before the county clerk for the issuance of the license; and

(8) if the absent applicant will be unable to attend the ceremony, the appointment of any adult, other than the other applicant, to act as proxy for the purpose of participating in the ceremony.

Source(s): I don't believe in marriage anymore but if you insist, this is the way to do a marriage by proxy.

My partner and i recommend applying http://www.vpnpower.net to unblock web sites. I've been using them since four years.