Do you believe Federer will ever return to the top of tennis and win another Grand Slam?

Okay so I am a huge Federer fan, and that's an understatement. Yesterday when Federer lost his match, it hurt more than any other match I've ever lost as a tennis player. None of my family members are Federer fans though, and they keep telling me to give up on Federer, and that his career is over. They tell me to move on to a different player, because Federer will never win at the top stages of tennis again. But you know, I just don't know. I obviously would never give up on Federer, even if he goes below the top 100, I'm just too much of a Federer fan. But still I don't believe that Federer is done. I believe that even though he has not had the best of results at the past two slams (A quarter-final loss to Tsonga, at the French, and a 2nd Round upset to Sergiy Stakhovsky at Wimbledon), and that these may be setbacks in his career, that he still has the immense talent to the game to overcome his age. Federer said that he plans on playing tennis for many more years, and in my belief, this tells people that he still believes in himself, and believes that he can still win on tennis's biggest stages. Do you believe that Federer can come back, return to his winning ways, and win at least one more slam.

Favorite Answer

From this point on, it's only going to get tougher, but that doesn't mean he can't win another grand slam. If he can stay healthy, injury free, and develop that hunger again, there is no doubt he has another magical run in him. Remember, Pete Sampras had an embarrassing 2nd round loss against George Bastl, and bounced back for his final great run in the next grand slam, the U.S. Open. Sampras was ranked outside the top ten and was playing some atrocious tennis leading up to the U.S. Open, but that didn't stop him from producing a magical run. Champions always find a way, so your right in not giving up on him, because Federer still believes in himself, and that's the most important thing.

Federer is still a top player in tennis. As for becoming number one. That will be an extremely difficult challenge. I doubt that he'll become number one again (maybe briefly), but Federer always manages to surprise us! After the loss in Wimbledon, Fed will drop down to 5 or 6 depending on how the other top ten players play. I'm sure he can get back into the top four. I would like to see Federer win an Aussie and deny Djokovic of a record breaking 5 titles their but any grand slam I'm fine with.

Source(s): Go Federer!
  • Chuck

Good question :-)

I'm a Fed fan, too, but all things come to an end at some point. I think he can still come up with a W every now and then at some of the ATP events. When that will happen, I don't know. He's going to lose a whole bunch of ranking points from last year's victory at SW 19.

He just won Halle, Germany, [Gerry Weber Open] so he obviously has NOT "lost his skills."

Can he win another Grand Slam event? I don't know, a lot of things will have to go just right for him, but now that other guys have seen that he's "human," they won't be afraid of him anymore, like they must have been [a little bit] when he was #1.

all the best :-)

• Jacoby

I'm a huge Federer fan but that said feel realistically his chances of winning another slam aren't great though Wimbledon remains his best shot if he plays next year. His falling to 5th in the rankings after the tournament hurts as it makes it more likely to draw another one of the Big 3 in the quarterfinals of future slams meaning he in theory could have to go through all 3 rivals to win a slam which he's never had to do before (Though would've this year if the draw played out like everyone expected)

What I wonder is what Federer wants to do for his career. He may be the 4th in the Big 4 at his current level but still can make a run in any Slam he enters. He could easy settle into a Tommy Haas like roll in a few years, a Top 15 guy who can win a few rounds and still hang with the best. My question is will he want to do that or try to go out somewhat on top. Sampras had fallen out of the top 10 but was still good enough to win the 2002 US Open before retiring. I could see Fed trying to do that still going out somewhat near the top of his game

It seems like Wimbledon last year was Fed's last great run but I just can't count him out. One match doesn't make a career, he could still make runs at the other slams but nonetheless losing at Wimbledon on his best surface is a major blow

As a fellow Fed fan I will continue to root for him and would recommend it.

D followed by A. I think he has one more Grand Slam left in him. I have a sneaky feeling it will be at Wimbledon in 2013. With Novak's emergence in 2011 to a whole new level and Nadal's dominance on clay plus other factors it's becoming increasingly harder for Federer to get back the top. He isn't called the "Swiss Maestro" for nothing.

As a fan . . . go ahead and enjoy watching Federer play because he LOVES tennis and wants to end his career in his own way . . . just don't have the unusually high expectations of him that we have all had in the past . . . Federer has begun a new phase in his career . . . its called, "End of Career" . . .

Roger will still win on tour . . . but I don't expect to see him lift anymore grand slam trophies . . . unless Djokovic, Murray or Nadal need some assistance with theirs . . .

I think he's great, but I think that his days are numbered. He's still good though. He won Wimbledon last year. And really, what does a year do to a player's performance that is so drastic that he or she will never be back to what he or she was. It's just a year. It could just be a bad year, like Djokovic had a few years ago.

Perhaps he could reach the final of a US Open in a losing effort

I don't think he will win more

No. He was good but his days are over.