Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Unemployment Question?!?

I live in Florida, USA. Long story short, a workforce agency decided to sponsor me after I got accepted into college. They will be paying for my courses, books, materials, etc. I've been jumping through hoops for them to approve the sponsorship. I got fired from my job in December and they wanted me to file for unemployment. I did.

While I was waiting to be approved, two weeks passed. I finally got the approval letter and then another letter the day after saying I have two weeks to claim. I haven't filled any job applications within those two weeks. I thought I was suppose to do job searches AFTER I got approved. And I did get approved, TWO WEEKS AGO, June 13th, but just got the letter yesterday! Will my unemployment be cut off since I have two weeks that are un-claimable? Two week that I haven't been job searching?

I don't really want the unemployment checks anyways. I just want to go to college and get my nursing degree and join all other productive members of society lol But if I don't get this straightened out and/or lose the unemployment, I have a HUGE chance of losing the sponsorship.

HELP?!?!?!?!

Update:

I haven't been job searching because I thought I was suppose to AFTER I got approved. I got my approval letter YESTERDAY, stating I was approved since the 13th of June. This approval letter came late. I got a separate letter TODAY stating I had 2 weeks to claim. This is why I am asking if I will be cut off. I don't want anything jeopardizing my future in college and I am filling out job applications now! I was unaware that I was suppose to be job searching while waiting for the letter.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Bobbie
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You do know that you do have to deal with the UI office to make sure that you do get the CORRECT answer and information that you do want and need at this time in your life. This website does NOT have any thing to do with the rules that the UI office does have that you do have to abide by and deal with them at th is time in your life OK.

Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 06/27/2013

• 8 years ago

First there's a WAIT week

should always be job searching

Can do extra job searches

If you don't certify for a week, you just reinstate claim in a later week

Many states limit your ability to collect unemployment while attending school; must be able and available to work

Source(s): tax pro
  • 8 years ago

Correct, you are not eligible to collect for those 2 weeks.

You can hope that it will be approved for future weeks.

Why weren't you looking for a job. It's common sense that in order to collect UI, you have to be activity looking and willing to accept work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.