Michele s asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

liver mass in my 14 year old chihuahua?

Just from Sunday she has stopped eating and walking. Took her last night to vet and he showed me the x ray. Devastated beyond words. She is our princess. Large mass in Liver. I could have done ultra sound or biopsy but he was 95% sure what it was. He sent me home with pain meds to keep her comfortable until we make our decision. Anyone out there been thru this? How long do we wait for the "E" word???????? please help!

if she isn't eating and not walking I hate to say it but the time is now

not eating and not moving and by giving meds to make her comfortable means she is in pain

I am truly sorry but she has had a good long life a Chihuahuas life span is usually 13-15 years

here is a poem but have tissues ready I think it says it all

Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then will you do what must be done,

For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,

But don't let grief then stay your hand,

For on this day, more than the rest,

Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,

You wouldn't want me to suffer so.

When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,

Only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree

It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you

Who has to decide this thing to do;

We've been so close -- we two -- these years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

• Jojo

This happened to one of my gsd females (who was a rescue dog) when she was about 12 years old and it was very sudden. She was fine one day and the next day she just faded and did not want to move or eat.

There was nothing much the vet could do for her and I would not let her suffer so I decided there and then as she was coming round from the anesthetic that she had been given when they x-rayed her, to have her painlessly put to sleep. It was all very calm and I cuddled her as she drifted off. Heartbreaking, but she was old and had known a good life with me and it was time to say goodbye.

In my opinion the kindest thing you can do in this situation is let your dog go with dignity and peace and with the knowledge that you have done the right thing by her. Nothing in this world lives forever and death is something we dog lovers inevitably have to face with our beloved canines, as they live for such a short time compared to humans.

I`m sorry about your little dog though. I know how you feel.

Source(s): Dog owner for 48 years.
  • A65

When it gets to this stage, and every dog owner gets there eventually, then you must be guided by your dog's comfort.

Is he in unmanageable pain? Is he mobile? Is he able to toilet himself? Can he keep food down?

What is his quality of life? Are you able to be with him during these last weeks/days or do you have to leave him on his own to go to work, etc. Can you manage cleaning up after him, (not in your case) nursing/bandages/ointments/etc?

Review all these questions on a daily basis.

When it gets too much, you owe it to him to be with him calmly at the end. Reassuring, keep the tears at bay, and let the vet put him to sleep. Once he has gone, you can start grieving, but keep strong, confident and gentle tone of voice, etc until then. All the best.

• H

I have only been faced with that once. My dog was run over by a car years ago and the vet told me that she would recover but her pelvis had been broken and she would likely have severe pain for the rest of her natural life. I decided to put her down because I will never allow my dog to suffer. My dog now is 15 and I know in my heart that even though it will kill me, if he is ever very sick or in too much pain, I will have to euthanize him. He's my baby and best friend but, I will not allow his last days to be painful. It is the quality of life, not the quantity of life that matters. If your dog has cancer, I wouldn't hesitate to euthanize her if the vet told me that she was suffering. Consider it as your final unselfish act of love for your dog.

Source(s): Long time dog owner

I'm really sorry for what you and your dog are going through. I lost a greyhound through a liver tumor. By the time he showed signs of being sick and I took him to the vet, he only came home to say goodbye and had to be taken back the next day to be put to sleep. The vet said he couldn't eat again - he hadn't for 2 days.

It's always hard letting them go, but in his case, there was absolutely no decision to make. Rather than leave him to slowly starve to death in pain, he was put to sleep. I think its time for you to put your dog first and let her go.

Well, thinking that the E word means the end. Well. Noone really knows, try to comfort her as much as you can in her last days. :./