"Special" Guns in Video Games?

You know, I'm a gun owner in real life. I can't say I wanted to own firearms because of video games. I mean sure, it's cool to own items that you see in flashy mainstream games. Take the Mosin-Nagant for example. I got one, only later realizing it was in CoD: World at War. haha

Anyway... So you play these games like COD, BF3, etc. You have these special weapons like the ray gun, crossbow (which is in BF3 as well), flamethrowers (WAW), etc...

I'm weird... But in real life, I love shooting .22 rifles. Cheap, accurate enough, and great fun.

So I was wondering... I know the Israelis, for a time, were using an integrally supressed Ruger 10/22 .22 semi-auto for I believe riot control, or was it close range quiet kill/assassinations? Or was it both?

Of all the "outlandish" weapons I've seen in all of these war games, you know, the stuff the devs kind of throw in as a little treat, even though they are often impractical, even in game (crossbow is a good example, in both COD and BF3), it makes me wonder why they haven't put something like an integrally suppressed 10/22 full auto, or something like that.

Now there are literally hundreds of shooters, and often, you see firearms that are very limited in actual use... Take the MK3A1 Jackhammer shotgun in BF3. I think they had only ever manufactured like 2 or 3 of them? Yet, it's an easily obtainable gun for any player in-game.

Why do .22 rifles not get any love? So as I said, of all the shooters out there, and they don't have to be FPS, what is the most "outlandish" real life weapon, mostly firearm, that you've seen? Not like ray guns, flamethrowers, etc, but like I said, the integrally suppressed Ruger 10/22.

To be honest, one gun I didn't expect to see in Max Payne 3, was the Ruger Mini-30. Usually, guns like AR-15's (M4/M16) gets the most love. And sure, you had stuff like Uzi's, etc, but I didn't expect the Mini-30 in a game like that...

So... anyone?

• E C
    Favorite Answer

Fallout New Vegas has a .22LR submachinegun. As well as a Ruger Mark III in .22LR. I was surprised they didn't give you a bolt-action rifle in .22LR.

.22LR really just doesn't work in all the modern war-based games. It simply lacks penetration that makes it useful for anti-personnel work. But with the rise of zombie and survival games, .22LR might be seeing a resurgence in popularity in video games. Actually I hope in these games the firearm selection may start to reflect the variety seen in civilian tastes. Much less black plastic, much more wood.

For some reason the Kel-Tec Shotgun has appeared in some games. So has the PLR-16 and RFB. Which is odd because Kel-Tec is really a niche manufacturer.

The Ruger Mini-14 played a pretty prominent role in the Left 4 Dead series. Though maybe a bit more accurate than they are in real life. :P

Edit- @ August, Fallout NV was particularly fun for me because I have that exact model .22LR handgun (though mine is not suppressed and has different sights). Of course it was a pain going through that game using it as my primary arm, but totally worth it.

1, popularity of gun, they want to use cool, well known guns like the scar and galil

2, game balancing, with something like the 22 it makes game balancing very difficult. you realize in video games gun do not behave like in the real world, right? every game has some degree of weapons balancing so there's no super weapon and there's nothing that is uselessly weak. in general all the guns shoot about the same from the 5.45 AK74 to the 8mm Mauser rifle. power is determined by damage points and the two others are mag capacity and rate of fire. penetration is often exaggerated.

putting a .22 in a game causes problems because you can carry like 500 rounds for the same weight as 100 rounds of 223, you can't realistically hit some guy 1000 yards away with it, it's quiet, no recoiling and while stopping power is low, a hitin a vital area is as lethal as a 30-06.

this would make game balancing hard because then everyone will run around with 22's since have no recoil, just as accurate as any other round, you can carry a gazillion rounds and is pretty quiet. it would break a game. can't balance a ruger 10/22 suppressed along side stuff like a mini 14, m4, ak47, mp5, remington 870, svd and mosin nagant. if you treat it as a pistol you'll run into problems too, since you can't balance it along a glock 9mm, 1911 45 acp and a fn 5-7.

Source(s): games lost their meaning after i learned how games are made :( i stuck to real guns after that. these days minecraft and ace of spades (classic fps) is plenty for me.
  • august

Ever play Fallout: New Vegas? One of the "concealable" or "holdout" weapons they have is a silenced .22LR pistol. And it's surprisingly true to real life- it takes a LOT of shots with that little tiny thing to take down an enemy. Heck, the Fallout series has what amounts to a Red Ryder BB gun. It's way more powerful in the game than it is in real life, though...

I'd say the primary reason .22LR rifles don't get used much in video games is that no military force uses them openly or as a primary issue gun.

Which is probably why Fallout had the freedom to use these less popular guns, even including a lever-action .357 Magnum and a bolt-action .223 Remington "varmint" rifle. Fallout isn't based on modern military; it's a post-apocalyptic game where people use whatever firearms or weapons they can get.

But the ultimate answer- video games aren't real. That's the main reason.

EDIT: E C, didn't know you were a gamer, much less a fan of Fallout. I'm nowhere near as interested in video games as I was a few years ago, but I still enjoy an occasional game to while away the hours!

Not sure what the question is but there are many tales of men separated from their units with only .22 survival rifles. One in particular was a friend of my dad. He told stories of making up to 20 head shots with fatal results while going on raids with some locals who were trying get him back to his unit. Since then I have always had a healthy respect for the .22LR.

Source(s): 40 years hunting and shooting and hearing the story from the Sargent himself.

Not sure exactly what it's called, but i went shooting with a buddy last year, and he brought some of his friends who I had not met. One of the gentlemen had what appeared to be a plastic play knife. Well, as were shooting I look over and hes point the knife at his target and all of a sudden you hear a few "bangs" and then you see him unscrew the bottom of the knife and pull out a 3 round .22 clip.

I asked him what it was and he said he bought it from a pawn shop in the 90s. This thing had no safety functions whatsoever, the gun was horrible with accuracy, and on top of that, it was a fake knife! lol if you're going to make it, may as well make it a real knife right? It was pretty cool to see, but i'm sure it's a pretty crappy, and undoubtedly illegal weapon.

Maybe you should go rant in the vidiot game section, I quit reading this drivel after the 3rd vidiot game was mentioned.

• M'kay

so after all this, pretty much no question?