Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 8 years ago

Silverfish- can they be ignored?

Hi, I recently realized that these tiny little insects that I have been seeing occasionally in my house are silverfish. I don't see them very often, but then again, after soem research, I found out that they like dark places. With that said, I'm not so sure if there is an infestation or not - regardless, should I exterminate them? I've had bed bugs before, and that whole process was like hell; if I don't have to spend the time and money to deal with them, that would be great.

Favorite Answer

Silverfish are a lot easier to get rid of than bedbugs. First of all, they're eating paper, or any sort of material like drywall, cardboard, books, and the like, and molds and fungi that are growing around damp places in your home, such as under the sink and around any leaking pipes. They like dampness. Get rid of all piles of old papers, if you have building materials laying around that have gotten damp and musty, throw them out, dry out your basement or carpeting with fans or ventilation systems, and get a dehumidifier going in your house--and use a vaccuum cleaner with one of those narrow crevice tool nozzles around the baseboards near carpeting to pull them out of the carpet and from under the baseboards. Got piles of laundry in the basement near the washer? Put them in plastic baskets. Check your washer connections for leaks.

You can spray for them--any good MILD ant and roach spray takes care of them pretty quickly. But mostly, get rid of the dampness--that's what they're after. Also get rid of any standing water outside your home or in drains in your bath or basement or kitchen. Dry house--no debris--no trash or piles of crap or mold = no silverfish.

Silverfish are relatively harmless. They like moisture and dark places, and they eat cellulose. So, their favorite meal would be something like a moldy old cardboard box sitting in a basement or something like that. They've also been known to go after something like books and newspapers. One thing that works with silverfish is boric acid. This is a powder that is harmless to people and pets. But, when silverfish (and ants, fleas, and roaches, for that matter) walk through it, it sticks to their exoskeletons. Later, when they groom themselves (yes, insects groom themselves), they ingest the boric acid, which works like a dessicant, resulting in dehydration and eventually death (it takes a week or two). Just sprinkle a border around the perimeter of the infested rooms and they will eventually disappear.

Silverfish like humid places

So set a humidifier where you see them if you have one

And fill up any cracks you have