Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 7 years ago

What U.K political party should I belong to? (I'm American)?

What party would most fit my views as I am going to be staying in the UK for an extended period of time?

1. Euro- Do not adopt the euro

2. Health care- Scrap NHS and replace it with a sort of Medicare/Medicaid system to assist and/or provide healthcare for the elderly and poor. Otherwise, it should be privatized and you would need to pay for health insurance.

3. Crime- Focus on rehabilitation and increase the police force.

4. Immigration- Grant residency for those with special skills, degrees, and other skills to offer the UK that the UK is lacking of.

5. Taxes- Cut taxes for middle and lower incomes, keep taxes for rich at current level. Clamp down on tax havens.

6. Military- Reduce the amount of nukes and slowly pull out of the Middle East.

7. Overall government spending- cut unnecessary programs.

8. Focus on improving public education, slowly increase tuitions to match inflation, offer financial aid, and offer vouchers for exceptionally smart or gifted children so they can attend private school.

9. Social issues- Allow gay marriage, abortion, and equal rights for all.

10. Welfare- Cut welfare payments and don't allow minimum allowances.

11. Other taxes- reduce sales tax and gas tax.

12. Tax credits- Give tax breaks and credits for companies that invest in the UK and hire british workers.

Is there anything else?

I'm upper middle class

• Clive
    Favorite Answer

1. Nobody wants to except the Liberal Democrats. We've all seen from the current Eurozone crisis what a stupid idea it is. A common currency only works if every economy in it is equally strong, and if it isn't, it all goes pear-shaped VERY fast for any country in it with a weaker economy. This happened to Greece and now the rest of the Eurozone is having to bail them out. We tried it with the pre-euro ERM in 1992 and had to pull out very fast to avoid the collapse of the British pound. We don't want to do THAT again.

2. Nobody agrees with that. The NHS works extremely well and the only debate is on exactly how it should be run.

3. The parties are all so confused on this that you could find people in any party who would agree, but this is more left-wing. The current coalition (Conservative/Liberal Democrat) government has come up with some policies for more effective rehabilitation.

4. Conservative. This is current policy that they have enacted - allow immigration ONLY for special skills. It is a popular view that the UK is too crowded already but for more on this, see what I have to say below about the European Union.

5. More Conservative than anything. Other parties want taxes for the rich to be higher.

6. Liberal Democrat or Labour.

7. Conservative. This is what the current coalition government is doing to save money, thanks to the huge amount of borrowing and government debt the last Labour government left us with because it loved to spend money without thinking where it comes from.

8. Conservative. The Conservative government in the 1980s had a voucher scheme to allow smart and gifted children to attend private school. University tuition fees are a result of Labour widening university access to such an extent that now all school-leavers expect it - which means that free university education, which we used to have, is no longer possible, and having a degree isn't special any more, which defeats the point of going to university.

9. Everyone agrees on that.

10. Conservative. It's the most keen on keeping welfare to the minimum necessary and not making it so generous that people might prefer to live on welfare than go out and get a job, which is always the danger with welfare schemes.

11. Hard to say. Probably Labour. The Conservative Party leans more towards increasing sales tax so you only pay it if you actually spend money. Bear in mind that VAT (the UK sales tax) is not charged on food so you can get the basics of life without paying it. It is also charged at a reduced rate on gas (and I mean gas as a domestic fuel, not gasoline) and electricity. VAT is not so noticeable as sales tax is in the US, because by law it is required to be included in the displayed price, so what you see is what you pay. (The fact that sales tax in the US is added as an extra when you pay frequently comes as a rude shock to British tourists.)

12. Conservative. They know that making it easier for companies to create employment is the way to go, so they always look to reduce corporation tax and give other tax breaks whenever they can.

What you have omitted is the debate over European Union membership. This is rather a political hot potato at the moment, and the UK Independence Party, whose main policy is to leave the EU, has done rather well in recent English local elections. EU membership means that any citizen of any EU country can just move to the UK, and British people are getting rather worried about that - it's the reason for recent tightening up on your point 4. But on the other hand, it makes it far easier to trade with the rest of Europe - which is why we joined it in the first place - and there's a possibility that leaving will create more unemployment because it will be more expensive to export goods. So mainstream policy in all the major parties is to stay in the EU, though there is a tendency in the Conservative Party to want to leave and they've promised us a vote on leaving the EU in 4 years' time if they're still in power.

How do you vote, as an American? Would I be right in saying Democrat? The Conservatives are a kind of slightly more socialist Democrat party. It's traditionally the party of the aristocracy, that knows what capitalism is while understanding that the poor should be helped too. We have nothing to compare with the Republicans, Labour are definitely more socialist and keen on passing lots of laws and regulating life, and the Liberal Democrats are somewhere in the middle of Conservative and Labour. Labour started as the party of the trade unions and still has that tendency to think that the solution to any problem is to throw money at it, even if the money doesn't exist. I'm still trying to work out what the Liberal Democrats stand for.

1. No one cares.

2. No serious party would consider this as a part of their mainline policy.

3. Labour and Lib Dems are the two parties who resonate with rehabilitation towards criminals.

4. No one cares, apart from extreme left/right groups.

5. No one cares.

6. Green party, and the alternative left. Very popular with some middle class. Unfortunately would cost you double in blue votes.

7. No one would care.

8. You'd win a serious stack of labour votes if you joined forces with Ofsted and the Teachers Union. Student fees just trippled recently, you'd turn heads your way from every spectrum of the left if you promised cheaper education.

9. No one cares.

10. Um.... this is in direct contradiction to 5. In the UK, tax is paid on all income, even welfare. Really.

11. Reduce petrol tax? Disease and petrol is currently 90% tax. People would be stabbing themselves at effigies of you if you managed to reduce tax (providing you didn't obliterate the economy).

12. No one cares.

All in all, your policy sounds generally geared towards a very clumsy Left personality. Killing the NHS would be political suicide. Reducing petrol tax would be economic suicide. And cooling off nukes might mean military suicide. You could be called the suicide party! The lack of understanding you have towards unions, the monarchy, and the public, proves you'll only appeal to first year students. But at least you tried.

You are a bit all over the board. You have named Conservative, Liberal, and Labour party issues. My guess is Liberal Party might be a good place. I believe it allows more swinging than the others.

I too am a "Yank" but I won't be going to the UK. I do study political and other philosophies. What I understand about the UK is that their parties are more honest than ours, particularly our Democratic Party. Most Democrats in the US are progressives (see definitions below) but they call themselves "liberal."

In the UK I believe the party names actually indicate their policies. I understand the Labour Party holds mostly softer socialist and progressive policies like our Democratic Party does today. I believe the others are as indicated below.

Below are accurate definitions. Today in the US most progressives and some socialists fraudulently call themselves "liberal."

True liberalism advocates: individual freedom, weak government, and free markets. Progressives advocate: social concern, omniscient government, and controlled markets. Socialism advocates: social responsibility, omnipresent government, and collective markets. Conservatism advocates: moral responsibility, strong government, and protected markets ("neo-cons" with international businesses have adopted freer market policies).

Source(s): For decades I studied philosophies, cultures, and social institutions. I began that because of confusion resulting from my military experience under the shadow of neo-Marxist anti-military and anti-capitalism indoctrination in the universities. I continue a forty year quest wading through the huge pile of stinking crap a wide variety of bigots dumped on top of truth hiding it from nearly everyone's view. The pile was made by blaming people or practices they don't like while excusing people or practices they do like regardless of where the fault really lies.

I was able to save my marriage thanks to my family and friends. I also read a lot about marital issues and tips on how to save your relationship. The ebook on this site helped me a lot http://savemarriage.toptips.org

Check it out it's worth it.

• Holly

I would say closer to the torries however to really know you need to read there manifestos and see which one you agree with most

• John

Nobody is going to scrap the NHS

Join the other upper middle class comrades in the Labour party

The liberal party I think - not the liberal democrats. It still exists but is a minor one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Party_(UK,_1...

http://www.liberal.org.uk/policies/index.htm

You are in a class system in England. Are you rich or poor?

God knows......you are pretty mixed in your views.....start your own I guess........