Is it ok for you when Supreme Court limits federal oversight of Voting Rights Act?

Based on CNN "The court said it is now up to congressional lawmakers to revise the law to meet constitutional scrutiny.

"Our country has changed, and while any racial discrimination in voting is too much, Congress must ensure that the legislation it passes to remedy that problem speaks to the current conditions," said Chief Justice John Roberts for the 5-4 conservative majority.

Section 4 of the law was struck down, the coverage formula used by the federal government to determine which states and counties are subject to continued oversight. Roberts said that formula from 1972 was outdated and unworkable."

Favorite Answer

I disagree with the ruling of the court. Voter discrimination is still very real in the South. I'm from Arkansas and live in Tennesee - I have seen it first hand. Those federal protections are still necessary.

• Norm

I'm all for any Supreme Court decision or legislation that limits the powers of Federal Government. Uncle Sam has too much authority over We The People already...

• ?

So you think its OK for me to use 40 year old data to make decisions other decisions about the country?

40 years ago people were screaming about how the data showed "global cooling". Yet I doubt anyone would say its reasonable for the federal government to make political decisions based on this now debunked theory.

Depending on exactly how they limit it, yes.

@david: any way you slice it, the Supreme Court did limit federal oversight of the Voting Rights Act.

@Tina: you sure got that wrong! Obama wanted the Voting Rights Act to continue as before, not be revised by the Supreme Court.

• border

No. initially, the courtroom won't overturn the regulation. yet whilst they did, they could be people who could might desire to stay with the shame and the stain they placed on historic past. something persons will paintings to create a sparkling extra desirable regulation. Hate can not win out in simple terms because of the fact it pleases the anti-minority crowd on the suitable.

That's the way the law was written. Section 4 was supposed to be revisited every 5 years.

• Tina

What bothers me is that this supreme court is up Obama's a ss.. and therefore whatever he wants he will get.. that's' what bothers me!

Only a moron would come to that conclusion based on that ruling. Not what they said at all.

Yes. That's the way the system works.