,
, asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 7 years ago

In Spanish, can "vivo" and "viviendo" be used interchangeably?

Is there a big difference between the two?

I.e. can "vivo en Londres" mean the same thing as "viviendo en Londres" when saying "I live in London"

Favorite Answer

I know this is long but read at least until the first point where i indicate it's fine to stop reading. It's only a paragraph or two.

Everyone else is pretty much right here, but I want to highlight how the present tense is used versus how the gerund is used. Rarely in my experience with spanish do you say "I am doing something." Spanish speakers use what are called "active verbs" far more often in speech than do english speakers, which is considered, even is English, to be more proper. This is especially true when writing, so there's a very important lesson to be learned from spanish and hispanic cultures when they make the distinction between the gerund and present tense.

A classic example would be how we would say:

"Watch out! A car is coming." when crossing the street with a compadre.

A spanish speaker would say:

"¡Ten cuidado! ¡Viene un coche!" which directly translates to "Take care (how they would say watch out)! A car comes!" rather than "a car is coming." They would not say "Un choche esta viniendo."

Here's why:

What I mean by "active verb" is that the spanish speaker uses the verb "to come" rather than a form of the verb "to be" followed with the gerund of another verb. This prevents the use of two verbs when one would suffice (the use of only "to come" rather than "to be" and "to come"), which makes the speaking far more efficient, as the listener learns the same amount of information in less words.

-That's all you really need to know but keep reading for relevant Spanish Quick-Tips™.

That concept of active versus passive verbs is translated into a verb form for use in the past tense, one you may have heard of, called the imperfect. First off, I want to say that whatever your textbook says about imperfect is correct, but take this advice and it will helps you understand a bit better. Here it goes:

The imperfect is used like your textbook says, but is often used like this as well (which i bet your textbook will not tell you):

the imperfect is a translation of inactive verbs into the past tense in order to make it more efficient. This is best demonstrated through examples.

Here it goes:

Comía helado.== I was eating ice cream.>>Notice how in spanish one verb is used but in english we, quite inefficiently, use two ("was" and "eating").

You would not say Estaba comiendo helado.==I was in the state of eating ice cream. (You could, but it's better not to. Even though the translation sounds kind of weird, it is much more acceptable to use inactive verbs in the past tense.)

Also very important: when saying "I like to do something" they use the infinitive rather than gerund. For example while we say "I like eating cookies," they say "I like to eat cookies." (Me gusta comer galletas.) "Playing soccer, cooking food, or crossing the street makes me tired." Me cansa jugar el fútbol, cocinar o cruzar el calle.==direct translation==To play soccer, to cook, or to cross the street tires me. >>>better translation:: "It tires me to play soccer, to cook, or to cross the street."

As far as I know, the only time the gerund is used in spanish is if the word "to be" (estar) or, and this is more my point, the words "while" or "by" can be substituted in front of it. Ex. "Limpiando el piso, se cansa."==(By) Cleaning the floor, he tires himself. Cruzando el calle, se pegó por un coche. (While) crossing the street, she was hit by a car.----stuff like that

Keep reading further still to become a Spanish Pro™

Ok i wrote this as a note to myself a long time ago and am kind of late so i don't have time to gear it towards you but I figure since i just have to cut and paste i might as well put it here.

Imperfect also makes since with the whole “cuando era niño...” thing. EX: Cuando era niño, comía el helado. That means “when I was young I used to eat (was eating) ice cream.” “Comía” literally means “was eating,” so in english, it would be something like “at the time (the time of childhood) I was eating ice cream.” It means “used to eat” if you don’t continue the clause/sentence. If you do continue the clause it changes the meaning, for example “Cuando era niño comía helado cuando, por accidente, dejé el helado al piso.”

Vivo = I live

Viviendo = Living

In Spanish people tend to use the present tense (vivo) more than the present participle (viviendo). If you are saying "I am living in London" I would say, "Vivo en Londres" rather than "Estoy viviendo en Londres", although that wouldn't be incorrect.

Source(s): Me

If you are far more interested in finding out to communicate Spanish than read or publish it (they do teach reading and creating but speaking is far a lot more heavily emphasized) then this course https://tr.im/HfTDz , the on-line program of Spanish from Rocket Languages is the best selection.

Rocket Languages offer a really balanced technique to studying a language, related to what you would locate in a classroom setting. It is not a “full” immersion course per se, although there are some factors of immersion (such as the audio portions). Nevertheless, this strategy is useful for grownup learners who might get far more out of some of the English explanations of numerous intricacies of the language they are striving to understand.

Rocket Languages is dedicate to continually improving their merchandise, they are constantly improving the interface of the dashboard. Not too long ago they have manufactured it much less complicated to keep track of your progress, and the weekly calendar on the top will support you keep in the habit of performing a bit of language learning each and every day so this is way this program is the most well-liked at this tie in the on-line market.

If you want to understand the more informal, colloquial, frequent, daily kind of spoken Spanish then you should choose this program https://tr.im/HfTDz the on the internet Spanish program from Rocket Languages

With the Rocket Language program you will learn and emphasizes present day, each day, spoken Spanish, you will find out to talk Spanish just like a native speaker does in his regular each day dwell.

This course include the far more formal and correct Spanish that you would need to know, that you would be anticipated to know so if is what you are you searching then you came at the proper area.

• Blue

No not interchangeable, slightly different. You can say 'vivo en Londres'. I live in London. That is a complete sentence. 'viviendo en Londres, living in London - that is incomplete. Who is living in London? You need to say 'Estoy viviendo en Londres' I am living in London or Ella esta viviendo en Londres - She is living in London. That sentence needs a subject.

I live in London - vivo en Londres.

I am living in London - estoy viviendo en Londres.

You can use any one, but I suggest you to use: vivo en Londres.

Source(s): Spanish is my native language

viviendo is "I'm living"(right now i'm living in london)

vivo is "I live" (I live in london)