Why do people constantly say that illegal immigration is not a crime?

I find it amazing that some people don't understand that illegal aliens are, in fact as well as under the law, criminals. It's not a civil crime, it's not a misdemeanor, it's a federal offense.

@Frank - 8 USC § 1325 - Improper entry by alien

(a) Improper time or place; avoidance of examination or inspection; misrepresentation and concealment of facts

Any alien who

(1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or

(2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or

(3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.

Sounds like a crime to me...

@Edward - I am a native American. I was born her to parents who were born here. As for the 'Indians', they are no more native to this continent than are the Europeans. They migrated from Asia about 10,000 years ago across the Bering Land Bridge. Nice try, thanks for playing.

Favorite Answer

I do not believe that anyone said it was not a crime, I have seen some say illegal entry is not a "felony" or that it should not be a crime but no one I have seen or read has said "it is not a crime".

I find it amazing that Dr. Phil has approved his image to be used by someone that can not read a simple worded code. I am using the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service to show that saying " It's not a civil crime, it's not a misdemeanor, it's a federal offense." is essentially wrong, maybe you will be willing to provide the source of where your partial information came from. (in part)

"INA: ACT 275 - ENTRY OF ALIEN AT IMPROPER TIME OR PLACE; MISREPRESENTATION AND CONCEALMENT OF FACTS

Sec. 275. [8 U.S.C. 1325]

(a) Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, United States Code, or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or b oth, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, United States Code, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.

(b) 1/ Any alien who is apprehended while entering (or attempting to enter) the United States at a time or place other than as designated by immigration officers shall be subject to a civil penalty of- (1) at least $50 and not more than $250 for each such entry (or attempted entry); or

(2) twice the amount specified in paragraph (1) in the case of an alien who has been previously subject to a civil penalty under this subsection.

Civil penalties under this subsection are in addition to, and not in lieu of, any criminal or other civil penalties that may be imposed.

(c) An individual who knowingly enters into a marriage for the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws shall be imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or fined not more than $250,000, or both.

(d) Any individual who knowingly establishes a commercial enterprise for the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws shall be imprisoned for not more than 5 years, fined in accordance with title 18, United States Code, or both.

FOOTNOTES FOR SECTION 275

INA: ACT 275 FN 1

FN 1 Added by § 105 of IIRIRA , applicable "to illegal entries or attempts to enter occurring on or after the first day of the sixth month beginning after the date of the enactment of this Act."

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.f6...

Let me point out the parts that make me think it is a civil crime.

"(b) 1/ Any alien who is apprehended while entering (or attempting to enter) the United States at a time or place other than as designated by immigration officers shall be subject to a civil penalty of-

(1) at least $50 and not more than $250 for each such entry (or attempted entry); or

Civil penalties under this subsection are in addition to, and not in lieu of, any criminal or other civil penalties that may be imposed."

"Indians" are 1000's of years more "native" to this continent than supposed "Europeans" that arrived in and after 1492, thanks for letting me play. Now do what you do best and what is best for you, pick your own best (agreeing) answer so you can save face.

In and of itself, illegal immigration is a civil matter, which means it’s ruled by civil law, not criminal law. Immigration cases are heard in front of an administrative law judge, not a criminal judge.

you are not reading the amendment

The Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (IIRIRA) amended 8 U.S.C. § 1325 to provide that an alien apprehended while entering or attempting to enter the United States at a time or place other than as designated by immigration officers shall be subject to a civil penalty.

And yet unless your Native American your an immigrant just like the Mexicans.

Because they are ignorant of the law.

When a person comes to a Port Of Entry, they essentially are SEEKING PERMISSION TO COME INTO THE COUNTRY LEGALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A friend I know used to prosecute them if they were found to have come across the border illegally.

So is stealing a loaf of bread, but sometimes you do what is necessary to feed your family. The only illegal immigrants I have a problem with are those who commit other crimes while they are here.

You know what i find is amazing...people like you still exist

Because they are naive.