Any idea why James Gandolfini's funeral is going to be at an Episcopal Church?

Just read that his funeral will be in New York City on Thursday at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, which is an Episcopal church. I read that Gandolfini was the child of "devout Roman Catholics." Wondering if he had become an Episcopalian at some point or just that the venue was chosen for it's size, in order to accommodate the many mourners and guests. Any clues?

@JamesK. You said "evidently" which means there is EVIDENCE he was Episcopalian. Where is the EVIDENCE? I must have missed that.

@Robert C: Right....he "may not" have been a practicing Catholic. MAY NOT. Yet you are somehow PRESUMING he was a PRACTICING EPISCOPALIAN? LOL

• John S
    Favorite Answer

As noted at the "Gothamist" web site:

The Daily News notes that Gandolfini was Catholic and St. John the Divine is an Episcopalian church, adding that many other famous people (Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, James Baldwin, Nikola Tesla, Mayor John Lindsay, Dizzy Gillespie, Jim Henson, George Balanchine) also had funeral services there. Our guess: The seating capacity for St. Patrick's Cathedral in Midtown is about 2,500; St. John the Divine's nave can hold 6,000. Plus, it's probably easier to manage traffic uptown, versus in Midtown.

http://gothamist.com/2013/06/24/james_gandolfinis_...

• NONAME

"One chooses to be Episcopalian." I have never heard or read about anything indicating that the late actor joined or even attended an Episcopal church. My hunch is that like a number of Italian Americans, any real practice of the Catholic faith stopped years ago. Faith and religion are personal matters. But then so is a divorce and remarriage. The media is all too willing to cover and report those issues. Not quite as willing to report that a celebrity was seen attending Sunday worship someplace, like while on vacation. Gandolfini's death likely put the family in a very difficult spot. They had to scramble to find a church or at least some location for a funeral. Many Hollywood types choose to forgo any public funeral and just have a private burial. Down the road they can have some memorial service which tends to be completely secular and consists sharing memories. Lucky if there is the word God or faith even mentioned. Look, the actor did not choose any of this, I'm sure. But the absence of any prominent Catholic representatives was glaring. I have a sneaking suspicion someone urinated in someone else's corn flakes and this may have been some sort of payback. Could be wrong but it just seems bizarre that a person of Roman Catholic background would be buried not only from but in an Episcopal Church. I wonder how much money changed hands over this one. Things are looking far less Gandolfini and far more Soprano if you ask me. LOL

James Gandolfini will be laid to rest in a place appropriate for his age and influence– a relatively young man (51) whom everyone loved. Services have been set for Thursday morning at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York, the world’s largest cathedral and third largest church. St. John the Divine has been host to Christmas concerts by the likes of Sting and Judy Collins, as well as indoor aerial stunts by favorite parishioner Philip Petit. It’s an Episcopal church but extremely liberal and open to people of all denominations.

Jazz great Duke Ellington and writer James Baldwin are among the celebrities who’ve had their funerals at St John. The cathedral is big enough to hold what will likely be a huge, huge crowd of family, close friends, business associates, and fans of “The Sopranos” star. Capacity is 6,000 but can range up to 10,000.

My guess is that his being divorced affected the decision not to have services in a Roman Catholic Church. Capacity had nothing to do with it. When was the first or last time over 2,000 people attended the funeral services for an entertainer? Nope, he was there for show biz. Couldn't make it to the Big house.

Source(s): my opinion

His parents might have been Roman, but one chooses to join the Episcopal Church of ones own free will. Evidently he did so.

Saint Patrick's and Saint John's are of a size, so evidently size was not an issue.

he may not have been a practicing catholic , his family have the final say of where the service was to be held.