:) asked in HealthWomen's Health · 7 years ago

Will they STD test me before i can donate blood/plasma?

Do they test you for sexually transmitted diseases before you can donate blood? And if you do have something, will they let you know, and how?

Favorite Answer

Current FDA and /or AABB guidelines require that every blood donation (allogeneic and autologous) be screened for the following:

ABO, Rh Typing

Unexpected antibody screen (immunohematologic antibodies)

Hepatitis B surface antigen

Hepatitis B core antibodies

Hepatitis C antibodies

Serologic test for Syphilis

HIV-I/II antibodies

Human T-cell lymphotrophic virus (HTLV) antibodies

HIV-I Nucleic Acid Test (PCR)

HCV Nucleic Acid Test (PCR)

West Nile Virus Nucleic Acid Test (PCR)

Hepatitis B Nucleic Acid Testing (PCR)

T. Cruzi antibodies (Chagas' Disease)

Bacterial Screening of Platelet components

Additional tests may be preformed at the discretion of the collection facility, such as Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Antibodies and Sickle Cell screening.

If any test is repeat reactive, it must be further tested using a licensed confirmatory test, if one exists. Any reactive donation is discarded per local and state regulations. FDA guidelines also require that all blood collection facilities notify the donor of any unexpected screening test results within eight weeks of donation. However, most will notify within 4 weeks, usually by USPS 1st Class mail (or certified/restricted delivery if specified).

Please do not attempt volunteer blood donation If you believe you have possible risk factors for transfusion-transmitted diseases. Free, anonymous testing may be obtained through your local HIV/AIDS task force or the local public health clinic.

Source(s): Medical Director - regional blood center

2

Source(s): Eliminate Any Herpes Naturally : http://HerpesCured.trustdd.com/?wtMH
  • Yogi

When I could donate blood they done a simple finger stick. A drop of the blood went into a small container filled with a blue color substance. It checked a variety of thing not really sure what. I did see one person blood float to the top and they denied them. I don;t know to this day what it meant other than they couldn't give blood. They ask a few simple questions and that is about it. Now I'm talking back in the 80's and mid 90's. Now I'm on way to many meds to give blood anymore. I was at a point one pint short of 4 gallons.

You need to go and have the test done yourself at your local clinic way in advance before donating blood. They won't do the test on you on the day of blood donation because it takes a week for them to have the results. So if you do intend to donate blood you must do your STD test first way before you donate blood.

If you don't trust the man, why are you sleeping with the man? Giving blood isn't the same as going to the doctor and saying, "I would like to be tested for every STD known to science". Successful donation is not a guarantee of health. Doesn't anyone use condoms anymore? I know they suck, but it's better than dying.