Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelLatin AmericaOther - Latin America · 7 years ago

Moving to South America?

Hello, I am a 24 year old male looking to live abroad in South America for roughly six months to a year. I was wondering what countries I should be looking at to move to. Any of them besides Brazil, hence I want to learn Spanish while I am there. I am currently saving money right now to do so. I was wondering if I would be able to live comfortably and be able to grasp a good amount of Spanish in 6 months down there. By the time I leave I hope to have around $7-10k. Would that be enough to live in a safe area, and have a little bit of fun while there. Countries I am mainly looking at are, Peru, Ecuador, and Chile.

Thank you

• OC
    Favorite Answer

Hi Ego,

I am from California and spend between 4 and 6 months a year in South America (different countries). Upon entering a country in South America they usually give you a tourist visa for 60 days, sometimes 90 days if you are lucky or ask them nicely. Usually it can be extended by another 90 days. So, 6 months per year in one country is possible. Yes, you can learn a decent amount of Spanish in 6 months. I strongly recommend to visit a Spanish school though (not expensive) to learn proper Spanish. I have met a lot of Americans and Europeans living in South America. Their Spanish is usually pretty fluent but for the most part it is also pretty bad Spanish because a lot of them never learnt proper Spanish.

Some countries in South America are pretty inexpensive and others are on the high side. Chile is the most expensive country in South America besides Brazil. The cost of living is about the same as in the U.S. Cheaper countries are Bolivia (cheapest), Ecuador, and Peru. When I travel through South America I spend around $ 1,300./month all inclusive and have a lot of fun. However, if you stay put in one place you can live well in a.m. countries (not Chile) for well under $ 1,000./month.

I good Spanish school will of course add to your expenses, however, it is worth it. Figure about $ 150./week for a private teacher with 20 hours/week. I can recommend a very good Spanish school in Quito/Ecuador if you like.

Have a great time in South America.