Can John WIlliams (guitarist) improvise?

I saw a battle on here between john williams and jimi hendrix and a person said jimi would win because john while flawless at technicality can improvise and has no soul while jimi can, and he said john is an artisian and an artist

Favorite Answer

You cannot compare John Williams to Jimi Hendrix.

Hendrix was an innovator, a cultural icon, and so popular. John Mcglaughlin once gave Hendrix a lesson or two and said that he really didn't have a clue as to what he was doing, but was amazing none the less.

John Williams is one of the greatest masters of the guitar to ever have lived. Technically speaking, Williams is light years ahead of Hendrix.

Hendrix is playing single note lines and one part of the harmony, while Williams is performing 2-4 part harmonies on one guitar, and this is the hardest music you can possibly master; Bach, Scarlatti, Albeniz, etc.. Hendrixs' music is rather easy in comparison.

You can't compare apples to oranges. People like who they like, but if you want to know who is actually better at the guitar and who knows more about music?

John Williams without a doubt.

Source(s): Professor of Classical Guitar

Of course he could. The main point is that classical music is usually meant to be played as written--and as someone pointed out--that music is technically extremely difficult to play. Plus I never understood why people who don't read music or don't know much about music automatically presume that a person who CAN read music CAN'T also improvise at will OR play by ear! I can do both and I admit I'm not in the league of Williams OR Hendrix. But if I can improvise on the guitar, then John Williams certainly could!

bud,, christopher parkening,I think is the smoother,more expressive classical guitar musician,,alexandre lagoya,ida presti,she died in sudden,sad circumstances in 67,still a young woman,they recorded beautiful bach,courante in A,i listen to williams tackle recuerdos de la ahlhambre,his tremelo,tho competent,

is a bit uneven.,,the observer,listener that is,is probably right on the more musical,

formally untrained hendrix