Is using pictures off of google images allowed?

I have a Wattpad account, and when making a cover for my story I used a picture I found on google images, then edited it.

You might ask why i didnt just take a picture. Well the answer is simple. Say I wanted a picture of an elephant on the cover, I can't exactly travel to Africa just to take a picture of an elephant.

So my question is, do I need to give credit to the websites the pictures came from, or are pictures posted on the web fair game?

It seems like this should be allowed since saving the pictures to your computer is an option. But I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something illegal by accident.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I suggest to look it up on Sxc.hu (a stock-image website) where you can get free images which the photographer has allowed you to use on the internet. :)

http://sxc.hu/

In general, it's not illegal for you to save pictures from a Google image search on your ... Personal use means that you're not using the image on your own site or ...

There is not such a big problem but try to give the page source of images on your articles or whatever.