Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationOther - Outdoor Recreation · 7 years ago

How to convince mom to let me buy a gun?

Hey guys I'm 19 and I live in ny with my mother and siblings. I love guns and shooting. I've fired shotguns ARs rifles the whole 9 yards. Despite this my mother is very strong no, when it comes to me owning a fire arm. Any ideas how I can get her to let me buy a 22? This will be my foot in the door to move on to bigger and better guns.

• Buster
    Favorite Answer

My answer: You are over 18 so legally you can buy a long gun, but respect your mother.

When you live in your own place you can make the rules.

As a country boy I can understand your question perfectly. I revived my first shotgun when I was about 8. It was a 410. When I was about 11 I got a .22. This was only because of my dad. My mom was somewhat protective as well.

You didn't mention why she don't want you to have one, if it's because she thinks you'll hurt yourself or someone else, tell her you will take gun safety classes. If its because of a religious belief or something I'm afraid there's not much you can do about it, it being her house and things.

Source(s): I'm from Kentucky. Gun owner since 8 years of age.

You could sit with your mother and talk to her. Let her know you are responsible enough to own a gun and that you've had experience.

She's probably worried about you, thats what parents are like all the time.

Good luck :-)

You are an adult, if my mother disapproved of something in my life I would listen to her and respect her. But would do it anyway she already lived her life now it's time for you! I hear CZ makes nice 22 bolt actions ;)

Take a gun safety course, show her the safe and trigger locks you would buy to keep it safe, give her reasons why you would enjoy the gun, that's the best you can do with you staying under her roof,

tilly, your opinion offers no help here. Please go elsewhere.

You're 19, old enough to start making your own decisions. I was in the same boat as you at one point, but I had a place to store my guns that isn't my moms house, so that's what I do. But even if I didn't, I would've kept them at home anyway.

• tilly

I would never let my kids have a gun either.

the only way i would have no say is when they move out to their own place.

i still wouldnt be happy with it but that will be their home and their choice. while living at home with me it will be a no every time. they pose too much danger.

the second amendment says that you have the right to have a gun... but talk it with your mom first. btw i like knives better.

Tell her you've already got one.