promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 7 years ago

Why dont tamils speak hindi ?

All though there is no system of national language in India but Most of the Indians including kannads and mallus to speak Hindi but tamils dont .Tamils call north Indians as well Hindiwalas and after independence when decision of making Hindi as a national language was met out with heavy protests in tamil nadu but the fact of the matter no one is really hindiwala in India as you refer north Indians as North indians too have their mother tongue like punjabi,kashmiri,bhojpuri ,himachli but all of the them north Indians learn along with their mother tongues but tamils dont want to because by speaking Hindi they think they would lose their culture and forget tamil but tamil is your mother tongue and you are gonna learn it anyhow and nobody can take that away .Hindi could have worked as common ground to bridge the gap between tamils and other indians .I am not imposing hindi on tamils but seriously we should try to bridge the gap .Language is supposed to help people come together and understand each other in a better way and plz tamils come outta the doubt that north indian as hindiwalas coz they are not .Hindi is just a language derived from sanskrit

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The mother of proto -Indian language , A Classical language I guess Tamil pride treasure their language more than any other language. But if they have to live and work in northern states eventually learn Hindi , Well taking about bridging the you very well come to learn Tamil ;)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

If the founders of the Indian constitution had made Sanskrit the national language, there would be a lot less opposition. 50% of Tamil words have Sanskrit origin

The 3 language formula was flouted in North India, they refused to learn a South Indian language

so why impose Hindi, an islamic language- Urdu in devnagari script on South India

Basically, the reason was that it gave Hindi speakers an advantage

Incidentally, the tamil anti-hindi movement got a lot of hidden support from bengalis too, they have a diffierent script than Hindi

• 6 years ago

Contrary to popular belief, Sanskrit is not the original Indian language. As most educated Indians will know, the original inhabitants of India were the Dravidians. When the Aryans invaded, the Dravidians were driven down south, to the states known today as Tamilnadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, and Karnataka. The languages spoken in all these states stem from Tamil, which is a Classical Dravidian language, and therefore, Tamil stands as THE original Indian language. Modern Tamil is quite different from the original Tamil of course, but not too far off. By contrast, Sanskrit and its derivatives, Hindi included, were brought in by the Aryans. Of course, cultural assimilations over the ages led to the development of many words in Tamil from Sanskrit, and some words in the Sanskrit-based languages have some Tamil influence.

So to answer your question, the reason many Tamilians (such as myself) don't speak Hindi is simply because it is what distinguishes us from the Northern states. It is our culture, our identity, and we're proud of it. We aren't opposed to learning Hindi per se (I myself find it quite difficult to get by in the Northern states since I speak very little Hindi), but let me ask all northerners one thing: Why do you not speak Tamil? I agree, we may refer to Northerners as Hindiwalas, but then again, you call us all Madrasis, so......

We also need to get rid of the misconception that Hindi is the national language, because it isn't. The Constitution of India clearly states that the country shall have no one National Language, but will rather have a multitude of Official Languages so as to not elevate the status of one over the other. The one uniting language of all the states, as far as work goes, is English, because it IS the primary medium of instruction in majority of institutions across the country, and even if it is not, it is taught as a secondary language to be learnt.

Hope that answers your question

• 7 years ago

Bcoz India is pretty much like Europe and you cannot ask all Europeans to speak English or French or German, but allow them freedom to live and grow. Grow up and learn to respect other languages and Hindi is mostly a post-independence invented language, put together largely by Persian-Islamic dialects spoken in Northern India using the devanagiri script - it may have been done so by what appears to be a secret Islamic family ruling India - the Nehru and his dynasty. It appears with a little research the Gandhis may be Muslim.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ssrvj
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Tamil people do NOT oppose Hindi as a language.

=>Giving Hindi (a rural/rustic language) an "Official" Status (Rajya Bhasha) and the "Inherent " Arrogance attached to that..

=> Even though Constitution says"English MAY continue as long as Non-Hindi speaking people wish to retain "

=> Zealots like Rajendra Prasad replacing the term "SHALL Continue" by "MAY Continue" and another Zealot Lal bhadhur Sastri "pushing it down the throat of Southerners"--fortunately the role of Lal bahadhur sastri in 1965 war saved a lot of Violence in the South.

this is what Southerners dis-like.While South Children are at a dis-advantage of studying 3 languages,the Hindi Belt children study only TWO languages.

Inspite of "Draining Down a Huge fortune Down the Drain form Tax payers money in Improving Hindi --its role in Science and Technology is Absolute Zero ("0")--because International Science and Technology is progressing "Leaps and Bounds"---Only English Medium Children--South-North-East-West get Lucrative Jobs in India and Abroad. Official Status of Hindi is Just a 'BRAVADO AND GASCONADE" --same is the case with Tamil medium also.ONLY IF ENGLISH CONTINUES INDIA CAN MAKE PROGRESS--OR INDIA WILL GO BACK TO 1500 A.D. INDIAN YOUTH NEED TO REALISE THIS.

• 7 years ago

For the same reason Hindi people don't speak Tamil.

• 7 years ago

Bcos Already Sanskrit Spoil the Tamil identity like keeping the place name like Shree/Sri/sree instead of Thiru (Like Thiruvarangam most of them calling as Sri Rangam), for new babies they keeping God or Sanskrit or North Indian names like Balaji,Jayashree,Laxmi,Sanjith,Mohanraj. by this Tamilans are loosing their identity and Culture for these reasons only they are avoiding Hindi in Dravidian region.

• 7 years ago

As i am tamil . I dont know hindi. Because i feel its little bit tough. And tamil language is very easy . So no one will go on tough path.

• 6 years ago

There hasn't been any need to speak Hindi all along and that is one of the reasons why Tamils don't speak Hindi. Going forward, I still don't see the need for Tamils to learn Hindi. What's the point? India is about Unity in Diversity. We all speak different languages and yet should be united as 'Indians' and not Hindi speaking people. We have English as a common language and that is more than enough to bridge the gap!

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

All indian must learn Tamil or should be shot. :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.