Which strings and gauges will be best for my Ibanez PF Series PF5ECE Dreadnought Cutaway Acoustic-Electric?

I have a Ibanez PF Series PF5ECE Dreadnought Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar. I would said it was around 4-5 years old. Bought it used from a friend and had it for 3 years.

• Left-T
    Favorite Answer

Ibanez responds well with D'Addario strings, light or medium-light depending if you like the crisp sound or the punchy bass sound.

Source(s): Berklee Teacher / Luthier & Studio Guitarist
  • Ralph

I have one of the first generation PF5's although a standard dreadnought rather than the cut away with piezo, and I've had a lot of different strings on this guitar, Granted it's a Chinese job but it plays very well which is the reason I keep it around, It's my beater and I'm not too worried about letting others play it or taking it camping or wherever unlike my high end acoustics, and yes it's had a few repairs over the years, Although no two guitars are the same even if same make and model I've noticed this one in my opinion sounds best with the Elixir nanoweb's or Dean Markley Alchemy's which are coated strings, other standard phosphor bronze strings such as the Ernie Ball or DR rare's tend to give it a twang I really don't care for, The coated strings mellow it out and tend to last a bit longer, which may justify the price difference depending on how you look at it, Gage I think is also just preference , I use a medium light 12-56, but really the only way you will develop a preference is by trying different strings and gage's Just as no two guitars are the same so it goes with people

• thom

Ibanez Pf

The lower the tuning, the thicker the strings However I'm on c standard right now (which is pretty low) and my strings are not thick and it sounds fine. They're not thin either though, somewhere in the middle. I don't really know about pick ups for a tele. It all depends on what sound you want.

• Tony B

You need a set of acoustic guitar strings. Use the gauges that suit you, it's a matter of personal preference..

Its what ever you feel comfortable with.