Will I be able to function on 4 hours of sleep for long periods?

I have been suffering from insomnia for years. It comes and goes. This bout has lasted about a month. Sometimes I just don't sleep and other times I can but only for a duration of about 4 hours with much wake time throughout. I seem to be functioning fine but am always dead tired. If this continues what sort of problems will or should I expect? Blah so tired. Just simply can't turn my brain off

Favorite Answer

Hi,

Your insomnia seems to be quite in a severe stage. But no worries! You can cure them if you follow what I am about to tell you in this answer.

Okay, so let's me answer your question first on "the effects of sleep deprivation"

Firstly, sleep deprivation can cause a lot of negative effects that go way beyond daytime drowsiness. Lack of sleep affects your judgment, coordination, and reaction times.

And these effects include:

Fatigue, lethargy, and lack of motivation

Moodiness and irritability

Reduced creativity and problem-solving skills

Inability to cope with stress

Reduced immunity; frequent colds and infections

Concentration and memory problems

Weight gain

Impaired motor skills and increased risk of accidents

Difficulty making decisions

Increased risk of diabetes, heart disease, and other health problems

So how can you cure your insomnia then?

Simple, simply follow the next 6 insomnia cure methods that I am going to tell you and you will soon be able to cure your insomnia easily.

Method #1: Exercise early and often

People who are in good shape tend to have good sleep, and working out on a regular basis can help you carry out both. But because exercise actually raises cortisol levels, which in turn “turns on” the mechanism that keeps you awake, separate your training routine from your bedtime routine by at least three hours.

Method #2: Limit your alcohol intake

Drinking alcohol may give you a misconception that it can help you fall asleep much more easily, but this is not the case. Although alcohol is a depressant, it can have the negative effect a few hours later because your brain is subconsciously programmed that it’s still party time. Hence, it is important that you limit your alcohol intake per day so that you can sleep soundly during the night.

Method #3: Put a nighttime ban on those cigarettes

Do you know that smoking can disrupt sleep? This is because cigarettes contain nicotine that can disrupt one’s sleep during the night. However, if you are considered as an unrepentant smoker, the idea of getting a better sleep probably isn't going to motive you enough to give up the habit, but if you are thinking about giving it up anyway, better sleep is an added benefit to dumping the smokes.

Method #4: Don’t drink caffeine when nearing bedtime

As you might already know, caffeine is often used as a tool in helping us to be awake. So if you kick the caffeine drinking habit near nighttime, you can sleep better during the night.

Method #5: Change your environment

If you are experiencing insomnia, then one reason you are having trouble sleeping is because you have turned your bedroom into a second office. So, you need to get over it and keep your bedrooms off limits for work, and reserving it as a place of refuge and relaxation.

Method #6: Stop your worrying about insomnia!

If there is anything worse than insomnia itself, it’s worrying about insomnia. Insomnia can be described as an erectile dysfunction whereby the more you worry about it, the worse it will get. Hence, if you find yourself still awake in your bed after 20 minutes, just surrender yourself and go do something relaxing such as listening to music or reading.

Note: Do this “relaxing” activity until you have the confidence that you can sleep in 5 minutes.