Frank asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 7 years ago

Can someone help me with a search?

Can someone please help me with an obit search?

Below is all the information I have so far I know she died in Athens Clarke County GA so the obit should be in the Athens Banner Herald! I am seeking burial information and the name of her parents if it is included!

Thank you for your help

Duke!

Janie Smith Pierce 1872- March-13,1942

Married To William Arthur Pierce

Children

William Arthur

Cornelia (Connie)

Marion

Billy Jo

Gloria Beth

Name: Janie Smith

Death Date: 13 Mar 1943

County of Death: Jackson

Gender: F (Female)

Race: White

Age: 72 Years

Certificate: 5707

Name: Janie Smith

Age: 68

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872

Gender: Female

Race: White

Birthplace: Georgia

Marital Status: Widowed

Relation to Head of House: Mother

Home in 1940: Jefferson, Jackson, Georgia

Street: Old Crate Roberts Road

Inferred Residence in 1935: Rural, Jackson, Georgia

Residence in 1935: Rural, Jackson, Georgia

Sheet Number: 4B

Attended School or College: No

Highest Grade Completed: Elementary school, 5th grade

Hours Worked Week Prior to Census: 0

Weeks Worked in 1939: 0

Income: 0

Income Other Sources: Yes

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age

W Arthur Pierce

37

Mary Pierce

36

W Arthur Pierce

18

Mary Frances Pierce

16

Cornelia Pierce

14

Marion Pierce

11

Billy Joe Pierce

6

Gloria Beth Pierce

11/12

Janie Smith

68

_________________________

I have one more challenge if you want to take a stab at it!

The only sibling of my great grandfather I can not account a burial location for is 4 Robert Lee Ellington b. 9-Aug-1866 Newton Co., GA d. 25-May-1930 Rome, GA

m. 12-Apr-1908 Sally M. Middlebrooks

23 Apr 1887 - 30 Dec 1972 - Born and died in Walton County Georgia Can you help me figure out where they are buried? I keep getting Rome GA and Oxford GA!

Thank you

Duke!

Favorite Answer

The Janie Smith in the 1940 census above is the mother of William Arthur Pierce (b.c1903). His wife is Mary and he is the father of William Arthur, Jr., Cornelia, Marion, Billie Jo and Gloria Beth. 

Here is Janie with son William Arthur on the 1920 census:

1920 Census - Anderson, Banks County, GA

Janie Smith - Head - 49 - widow - GA-GA-GA - Farmer, Gen'l Farm

William A. Pierce - Son - 17 - single - GA-GA-GA - Laborer, Home Farm

And 10 years earlier, in 1910:

1910 Census - Minish, Jackson County, GA

Jannie Smith - Head - 39 - widow - mother of 1 child, 1 living - GA-GA-GA 

William A. P. Smith - 7 - son - GA-GA-GA

==== Next door to:

James L. Smith - 46 - GA-GA-GA

Aza B. Smith - 34 - wife

Lula C. Smith - dau - 17

James G. Smith - son - 12

May B. Smith - dau - 7

William A. Smith - son - 5

James L. Smith is Janie's brother (see obit):

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi%E2%80%A6

If she was married to a Mr. Pierce, it looks like she either reverted to her maiden name after his death, or remarried a fellow named Smith who also died.

I am confused.. you state "she died in Athens Clarke County GA" then you state "Janie Smith Pierce 1872- March-13,1942"yet further down you give the death index information of a Janie Smith the died in

"County of Death: Jackson" and a "Death Date: 13 Mar 1943"

So which is it did she die in Clarke County in 1942 or did she died in Jackson County 1943?

William Arthur Pierce seems to be her son by the census information you give his children's names as they being Janie's you are looking for.

There is a George and Janie Smith with son William b. 1898 in Irwin Co 1900 census. Also in 1900 census is a James and Janie L. Smith with 3 children in Dawson Co.

Order the death certificates of the Janie Smith yu are looking for and that will have the name of the cemetery she is buried in. Also consider se married again after 1940 and dc in different last name and not Smith.

Edit...Robert Lee Ellington burial is on Find a Grave in Walton County GA..New Hope United Methodist Church Cemetery.

Unless you have a marriage certificate for Janie to a man maned Pierce the more I think about it I think Janie Smith had son William Arthur Pierce Smith without being married. Later she or he decided to drop the Smith from his name to "hide" the truth of his birth. So look for birth registers for William 1901 and 1902 with last name Smith.

I searched for an obit archive for the Athens Banner, and found that one exists. Suggest that you try typing Athens Banner Herald Obits into the search. Going back that far may take a while as there doesn't appear to be an index.

Since you know the date and place of death you might order a copy of the Death Certificate from the county. Burial information is on the certificate and may not be on an Obit, if one was put into the paper but the family. There is also a place on the certificate for parents names, which may or may not have been provided depending on who provided information on her to the mortuary or county at the time of her death.

Source(s): Genealogical researcher 40+ years

Obits are optional...death certificates are required...and will include the location of burial even if the parent name is blank.

Sometimes, you gotta break down and order the record itself. It is nice when there is an alternate...but that does not always happen.