Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 7 years ago

Which computer manufacturer has the best quality hardware (durable and long-lasting)?

Asus

Lenovo

Samsung

Toshiba

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop by one of those companies.

• TWB
    Favorite Answer

ASUS has it over all of them. ASUS has the best warranty when it comes to laptops. Some of their models come with a two year warranty with a one year accidental warranty.

All laptops or desktops have pretty much the same CPU, GPU, ram, hard drive and screen. Most people do not know that the brand of the hard drive can make all the differences in the world. Intel and AMD make the best CPU. AMD and Nividia make the best GPU. What makes a good laptop or desktop is the manufacturing process, the motherboard and the sub components used in them. After that, it is the software included with them. Some manufactures modify Windows and the drivers severely and cripple the system into being locked to them. Some manufactures so load the system up with bloat software that it takes an hour or more just to get it off the hard drive. You will find those who do not know much about PC and laptops claiming brand do not matter. That they all have the same components in them. The brands makes all the difference. It would be like saying the brand of car, or television does not matter.

Brand buying advise

You get what you pay for. Systems with high end parts with low prices are to be viewed with suspicion. They have to cut corners somewhere to get the price down. What cost you less today is going to cost you more tomorrow.

Apple makes a good quality laptop. The problem comes when it requires service or minor upgrades. It is near impossible to do anything with them. They even glue the battery and hard drive down so you can not change it. They solder the ram to the logic board so you can not increase it. They lock up most of the software so your stuck with what they approve.

Lenovo has serious stand behind their product problems. They bought IBM PC division and proceeded to drive the quality of the system into the ground. Their customer service is well below par. They even makes Dell customer service look good. The last and final thing to remember about them is they are a Chinese Government own company. It is up to you if you want to trust them.

Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony should be avoided because of their heavy modification of Windows and the drivers. If you remove some of the bloat they install, you can cripple the system.

Acer, Gateway, and eMachines should be avoided period. Low end system that are driving the race to the bottom.

Dell once made a good system and fell from grace. They are now struggling to regain their place in the market. Customer service is one of many problems with this company.

Alienware are glorified Dells and are more name then product. Priced extremely high for what you get. They do perform but you can get the same for less by looking around, just not packaged to be eye candy to the gamers.

Samsung has a history of using cheap parts in critical areas. Capacitors has been one area Samsung has a known history of going cheap, causing units to fail early. For that reason I would avoid them.

ASUS and HP do not modify Windows as bad as the other manufacturers. They have excellent build quality. They might add a lot of bloat but they also makes it easy to get rid of it.

Ultrabooks are the higher end of Wintel laptops but they have some of the same concerns as Apple. They make it next to impossible to change any hardware in them. Service of them will have to be done by the manufacturers. With most of them, you can not change your own battery or hard drive. They are designed to catch your eye but they are not any more special then other laptops except for the fact that they are slim or thin. Your paying for it being thin and slim. For the money your going to spend on it you can buy a much better laptop with more power.

Hybrids are the worse of the worse. The flip or detachable touch screens are just a disaster waiting to happen.

Never buy an All In One. They are far worst then laptops of any kind to service and they have a higher failure rate.

Choose wisely.

Source(s): TWB 35+ years of experience in the service industry. You name it, I have probably fixed it. I did not design it, I did not build it, I did not break it, but I am the one who can fix it. What that means is that I have spent a life time taking these things apart and seeing how they are made. I have seen every dirty trick used by low end manufactueres to bait people into thinking they are getting a good deal. The difficult we do right away, the impossible just takes a little longer. I hear voices, so please be quite so I can listen to them.

For laptops, historically the Lenovo and HP business line machines (not the consumer grade) are at the top of the list. Particularly Thinkpads (Lenovo) and Elitebooks (HP)

Asus makes very good hardware but I have never used one of their laptops in the field. I have used their motherboards in desktops almost exclusively for the last 25 years or so.

You will get mixed reviews on both Samsung and Toshiba. For example, I looked at a Samsung Series 3 in a local store and I was displeased with the look/feel and the plastic case. On the other hand, I was drooling over the Series 7 and Series 9 machines which are much more solidly built. For Samsung and Toshiba, the business grade machines are definitely better than the consumer grade.

Consumer grade machines are for people who want to move a computer around the house, go on vacation, etc., not for people who are highly mobile and taking the laptop everywhere they go. The business grade machines will typically cost $100-$150 more than the equivalent consumer grade machine. The reason is that businesses cannot afford to have employees sitting around with broken hardware. If they don't have their machine, then they are getting paid to sit around and do nothing, costing $100's of dollars a day while they wait for a replacement/repair.

• Chip

With the exception of Asus, none of those manufacturers actually make the hardware - they buy the parts from other manufacturers and then assemble them into whole computers.

And even though Asus makes a lot of parts in-house (such as the motherboards) they still have to buy a lot of parts third-hand (like the CPUs and hard drives).

Still though, if we're talking about just overall quality of the whole machine, I gotta give it to Asus. The fact that they manufacture a lot of their own parts helps, and their customer/product support is amazing.

except you'll boost to an better motherboard and CPU, then i'd in basic terms bypass which include the sparkling one. The reason for this can be that there may o.k. be different complications which will fee more desirable funds to fix, or there is different themes arise straight away after the restore. more desirable sensible to purchase the hot one and characteristic the peace of mind. in spite of the undeniable fact that you'll make this an threat to make stronger your computing device to a significantly more desirable sensible and quick device. you may make it precisely the way you may like it. yet both approach, you'll might want to spend some earnings this disaster you'll have. ultimate fulfillment to you.