Thomas
Thomas asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 7 years ago

A long life is "Three Centuries"... will you read through some of their long youth?

C.C. and comments are always welcome. Thanks, Thomas

__________________________________________________________________________

Three Centuries

She was freeborn in Eighteen Ninety Nine (1899)

American by long listed bloodline

The servile Civil War of North and South

Parented by the slaves that fed her mouth

The first to grow up and live to be free

Through racism and subtle bigotry

Still the greatest country on planet earth

She gave thanks to a God received since birth

Now they can fly, communicate by phone

Live through a depression she can’t condone

Still the family pulled themselves together

United they stood, birds of a feather

College became reality for her

Phd (P-h-d), doctorate need not confer

Conservative black folk they lived and thrived

Came a New Deal dependence contrived

Then one of her sons, walked out on his wife

It totally changed how they managed life

Soon there were grandchildren parenting kids

Not even married they left them to sids

Reverend Martin Luther King emerged

Stressed ‘we’ not ‘me’ hoping hatred deterged

This was a chance for the country to heal

Death of public servant surreal

This black woman crossed through a century

Now live in the land of technology (2000’s)

No right or wrong can even text to speak

Much of black culture has changed and is weak

Tough as it was a hundred years ago

At least folks took the time to say hello

After living past the century mark

She perdures to live, love, learn and embark

______________________________________

Author’s Note

For the purposes of this poem the word

“sids” is used metaphorically.

_____________________________________________________________

Thanks for all the answers so far. Very insightful, respectful; I could not ask for better answers. Thanks for those who gave the poem a 'star' as well, but may have lost a couple :( bummerrooski.

The poem obviously is fictional, but deep. It was born out my relationship to a black president first, but later the plight of our black Americans and the transformation they have endured, much of it imposed upon them by society, environmental, and attributed at their own failures as well, and successes. So rather than bash one rash, I took the life a one woman. The fact black families were more conservative before the "New Deal" came out is a known fact. There may have been some pressure to be that way, but it was true nevertheless. I want to try to stay a way from the blame-game and focus on coming together as Americans, and here is one woman who has crossed over two centuries, been in three, that still wants to say hello to her neighbor. God be with her. Than

ks all. Thomas

Blaze: Thanks for your answer. You pretty much nailed this but had

the relational dynamics down pat. Good answer.

Einks: First time answerer----very well presented, and good for you not

resting on what I say, thinking for yourself, just like a picture of Lorry's

art work, it's in the abstract, and not only that, I want to be able to

COMMUNICATE my Artwork to my readers.

Thanks all. I look forward to more before I close this puppy.

______________________________________________________________________

Time is running out on this one, so better close it before it goes to the voters. I appreciate all who answered this. Was a different piece than I usually write, and will try to do more one pagers so I don't drag things out on the readers, who have more patience than I deserve. Thanks so much everyone for your good answers. Thomas

_____________________________________________________________________________

• Eink
    Best Answer

This is one awesome narrative, Bri. Such a 'remarkable woman' in '3 centuries'......though I won't pretend I personally know her pretty well? (pardon my ignorance:))

Not so often that we've taken note of such souls that have 'surfaced' from the seas of turmoil.

Uhmmm.....and I don't think I can 'critic' on this....or any poem of expression there is? There are things and words 'only' the writer comprehends.....and feels ink-filling for his own pen of thoughts. As an audience, we're only entitled to our own interpretation / opinion.....and therefore, nothing we say could lessen a bit whatever eloquence there is as expressed by the writer. I say this is one great poem ----from my own sentiment of it. Thanks for sharing, Bri.

• shelby

A Long Life Poem

Everyday life has changed so much in the last century, as this poem reminds me.

I wonder what it's like for the newer generation who don't know of life before the internet and mobile phones.

This woman was strong both in her mental capabilities and heart. Even though her life and family's past hasn't always been easy, she knows that she had better than many or it could be worse. She looks at the glass as half-full and because of her outlook, she manages to survive :) Good story!

If you are referring explicitly to MLK, the birth of hookers, which Coretta Scott endured silently, then stood by his grave in a floor-length mink coat---what was she THINKING??? About the poor of the race?

Hardly.

I'll leave that one up to you...

An interesting and well written narrative Bri. Well done. Flowed beautifully.

This is a wonderful and thoughtful ballad. It seems you had one particular woman you were writing about but leaving the name withdrawn it speaks to the movement of the experience of many.

I admire the ability and mental stamina associated with writing like this. My attention span and impatient nature (with myself only, oddly) don't allow me this pleasure.

I enjoyed this trip through her century.

This is very unusual for you, and you have pulled it off superbly,

and with an interesting and fascinating poem. I love it...

Now I'm getting very envoys of you're talent Bri : )

Great poem