A long life is "Three Centuries"... will you read through some of their long youth?

C.C. and comments are always welcome. Thanks, Thomas __________________________________________________________________________ Three Centuries She was freeborn in Eighteen Ninety Nine (1899) American by long listed bloodline The servile Civil War of North and South Parented by the slaves that fed her... show more C.C. and comments are always welcome. Thanks, Thomas
______________________________________...

Three Centuries

She was freeborn in Eighteen Ninety Nine (1899)
American by long listed bloodline
The servile Civil War of North and South
Parented by the slaves that fed her mouth

The first to grow up and live to be free
Through racism and subtle bigotry
Still the greatest country on planet earth
She gave thanks to a God received since birth

Now they can fly, communicate by phone
Live through a depression she can’t condone
Still the family pulled themselves together
United they stood, birds of a feather

College became reality for her
Phd (P-h-d), doctorate need not confer
Conservative black folk they lived and thrived
Came a New Deal dependence contrived

Then one of her sons, walked out on his wife
It totally changed how they managed life
Soon there were grandchildren parenting kids
Not even married they left them to sids

Reverend Martin Luther King emerged
Stressed ‘we’ not ‘me’ hoping hatred deterged
This was a chance for the country to heal
Death of public servant surreal

This black woman crossed through a century
Now live in the land of technology (2000’s)
No right or wrong can even text to speak
Much of black culture has changed and is weak

Tough as it was a hundred years ago
At least folks took the time to say hello

After living past the century mark
She perdures to live, love, learn and embark
______________________________________

Author’s Note

For the purposes of this poem the word
“sids” is used metaphorically.

Update: Thanks for all the answers so far. Very insightful, respectful; I could not ask for better answers. Thanks for those who gave the poem a 'star' as well, but may have lost a couple :( bummerrooski. The poem obviously is fictional, but deep. It was born out my relationship to a black president first,... show more Thanks for all the answers so far. Very insightful, respectful; I could not ask for better answers. Thanks for those who gave the poem a 'star' as well, but may have lost a couple :( bummerrooski.

The poem obviously is fictional, but deep. It was born out my relationship to a black president first, but later the plight of our black Americans and the transformation they have endured, much of it imposed upon them by society, environmental, and attributed at their own failures as well, and successes. So rather than bash one rash, I took the life a one woman. The fact black families were more conservative before the "New Deal" came out is a known fact. There may have been some pressure to be that way, but it was true nevertheless. I want to try to stay a way from the blame-game and focus on coming together as Americans, and here is one woman who has crossed over two centuries, been in three, that still wants to say hello to her neighbor. God be with her. Than
Update 2: ks all. Thomas Blaze: Thanks for your answer. You pretty much nailed this but had the relational dynamics down pat. Good answer. Einks: First time answerer----very well presented, and good for you not resting on what I say, thinking for yourself, just like a picture of Lorry's art work, it's in the... show more ks all. Thomas

Blaze: Thanks for your answer. You pretty much nailed this but had
the relational dynamics down pat. Good answer.

Einks: First time answerer----very well presented, and good for you not
resting on what I say, thinking for yourself, just like a picture of Lorry's
art work, it's in the abstract, and not only that, I want to be able to
COMMUNICATE my Artwork to my readers.

Thanks all. I look forward to more before I close this puppy.
_______________________________________...
Update 3: Time is running out on this one, so better close it before it goes to the voters. I appreciate all who answered this. Was a different piece than I usually write, and will try to do more one pagers so I don't drag things out on the readers, who have more patience than I deserve. Thanks so much everyone for... show more Time is running out on this one, so better close it before it goes to the voters. I appreciate all who answered this. Was a different piece than I usually write, and will try to do more one pagers so I don't drag things out on the readers, who have more patience than I deserve. Thanks so much everyone for your good answers. Thomas