Nolan asked in SportsHockey · 8 years ago

What players on the Blackhawks will never be traded?

• John
    Favorite Answer

A team rarely trades it's captain. For the foreseeable future, Hossa, Kane, Keith & maybe Crawford.

FYI people are mentioning Gretzky & Roy.

Remember they wanted to be traded.

Gretzky married Janet Jones (a Hollywood actress) so he wanted to go to LA to be near her.

Roy also wanted to be traded. I remember his last game in Montreal he let in several soft goals (on porpoise) at the bench he said "this should be my last game with the Canadians.

But trades (such as Gretzky) in the 80s/90s were before organizations realized the value of franchise players. Kane and Toews have an almost perfect dynamic in Chicago and resurrected the franchise. Even more than Mikita and Hull, the Hawks organization with Rocky, John McDonaugh, Jay Blunk, etc. recognize that they can't deal away these types of players for the sake of marketing, merchandise, and even down the road, as Hawks ambassadors. That being said, I say Toews stays forever, Kane walks in 10+ years.

Unfortunately nothing is guaranteed in this world. Players remaining on one team for their entire career is a rare commodity in this world. Franchises used to stick by a franchise player thick and thin. But these days players are viewed as a product. Once the product is no longer producing its shipped off at all costs. It's a what have you done for me lately kind of world. Fans and owners alike want championships (they always have, and that is the point of sports), but it seems more prevalent these days. Gone are the days of standing by your favorites through heaven and Hell. Free agency did wonders to sports. But it also turned it into a market. With every year so many great players entering free agency, teams want to trade away players in hopes of landing them. Plus with the multi year contracts players sign they tend to go well into their twilight years and the team says to Hell with it.

With the Blackhawks being a younger squad its likely that they will hang on to those who are producing for them. But years down the road you never know what could happen.

Toews is pretty much the only one I think. Keith would be a tough one to let go and I hope they don't get rid of Kane because he's one of my favorites in the league. Although I would like to see Kaner go to tampa... (my favourite team). I also think Cory Crawford is pretty safe for several years down the road

Source(s): My opinion, but what do I know?
  • Eric

Toews, Kane, and Keith IMO. I can't see Hossa staying, especially after he bailed on Detroit and Pittsburgh without hesitation. I think Shaw will be around for a few more years, same with Crawford. Bickell will be around for a good period of time as well.

I think toews will be a career player at chicago. I can see Kaner being traded away at some point though.

Nobody. Gretzky was traded twice. Roy was traded, Frank Mahovlich was also traded twice, and the great Dougie Gilmour was traded five times in his career. These trades all took place before salary cap considerations were in place, today any trade is possible.

Jonathan Toews!

Edmonton traded Gretzky, Montreal traded Roy, anything can happen

Toews and Keith. Maybe kaner